Future Cutting Edge Technology for Virtual Reality

Infinadeck is a new company that is developing and manufacturing the world’s first omnidirectional VR integrated treadmill. This innovation would allow the user to be able to walk within the virtual reality in perfect sequence with real life, thus making the VR gaming experience unlike any other. As a personal virtual reality headset owner, I tend to get ill with motion sickness in VR after about 30-45minutes of playtime. This happens because viewing the motion of my character in the game while I remain static in the real world throws off the balance that you feel when in the real world. This omnidirectional treadmill can rid all VR users of the feeling of motion sickness because their bodies and their virtual characters would be in perfect sync with each other. The only issue with this new piece of equipment is that it is bulky and bound to be expensive. Other than those, this technology could break bounds into newer technology that could further enhance virtual reality experiences. I believe Virtual Reality is going to grow more and more until it becomes common-place like console and PC gamers. What are your thoughts on the omnidirectional treadmill? And what are your thoughts on new advancements in virtual reality, not just in games, but other experiences such as education, emergency training, fitness, etc?

Also to have a better grasp as to what this technology would be like, there is a movie called “Ready Player  One” that has a perfect example of an omnidirectional treadmill.

Source: https://www.infinadeck.com/

4 thoughts on “Future Cutting Edge Technology for Virtual Reality

1. I think this technology advancement could be great for those who tend to get bored on the treadmill at the gym. When working out on the treadmill for approximately 45 minutes, I tend to get bored with the same view. I know the treadmills at the IM building overlook Beaver Stadium which can be a great view, but for most students is out of the way to get to, limited space, and also can tend to get old after awhile. I think linking VR to have a more interactive workout can be beneficial for those dreading their daily workout. I also liked the point you brought up about how this can eliminate motion sickness since the user is actually the virtual character. The only downside I see to this would be cost and further availability for everyone. Overall, I think this is a great advancement for those looking for a more interesting and interactive workout!

2. Interesting post! Similar to this invention, there is a company named Cybershoes that is currently developing VR movement technology. According to the article, “Cybershoes let you Physically Walk, Run, and Jump in VR without Leaving your Seat” by Tristan Greene and published by The Next Web, and Cybershoes’ Kickstarter page, instead of a treadmill, the business opted for a more cost-friendly solution by utilizing a swiveling stool, a smooth carpet, and two low-friction slides that are strapped onto your feet with a binding. Instead of standing up and moving, the player instead shuffles their feet in order to move in-game (Greene)(Kickstarter). While I am not sure as to whether this will be as good of a solution to motion sickness as the Infinadeck, both have made extensive progress in solving the problem of replicating movement within VR. Below, I have attached a demonstrative video for Cyber Shoes published by the company.

“Cybershoes let you Physically Walk, Run, and Jump in VR without Leaving your Seat” by Tristan Greene (The Next Web): https://thenextweb.com/plugged/2019/08/20/cybershoes-let-you-physically-walk-run-and-jump-in-vr-without-leaving-your-seat/

Cyber Shoes Kickstarter Page: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cybershoes/cybershoes-step-into-vr

Media- “Cybershoes – Step into VR”: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYOwKemIan4

3. Improvement of motion sickness can certainly get Virtual Reality more users. But I think virtual reality is never a replacement for our real lives. When it is applied in games, we are experiencing a game world that doesn’t exist in the real world. But when it applies in other fields such as education, we are pretending in a real classroom. It loses the traditional lifestyle of a student going to classes and participating. I don’t deny the convenience that it will bring, but I don’t think we should lose the traditions.

4. I think this is a wonderful piece of technology. Not only does it help immerse the player even more into the virtual world, but it can help with motion sickness since the player is moving in sync with the character like you said. Surely it will be expensive at first, but given enough time it will get cheaper like any other technology peripherals. Virtual reality can certainly be used in other cases than just gaming. It can help visualize lessons more effectively or simulate emergencies more realistically in a way that it can help the user learn better and in a more real environment.