New High Tech Motorcycle Helmet to Enhance Convenience for Riders

At the 2020 Consumer Electronics Show, French company Tali Connected unveiled a new smart motorcycle helmet (Paukert, 2020). The helmet has LED lights that can change colors, and display turn signals and brake lights. It makes use of Bluetooth to connect to phones, allowing the helmet to serve as a device for phone calls, music, and navigation. Furthermore, the headgear has other safety features such as using digital mapping to share location and notify the user through an app if the helmet is stolen, and automatically calling police if the rider has an accident. Another such beneficial feature is the photochromic visor, which darkens when exposed to UV light to ensure the rider can see. The helmet even has access to Siri and Alexa, so that the rider can speak commands instead of having to look at their phone, which could serve as a danger. However, the product revealed at CES has minimal functionality and is not ready for real life testing. The company’s app is still in development and the product still need to be certified by the Department of Transportation. The helmet is estimated to cost around $1200 when it releases at earliest by late 2020. I believe this innovation could greatly improve safety and comfort for motorcycle riders as it would make the experience more similar to riding in the numerous cars that currently exist that have built in navigation, Bluetooth, and voice command features.

Source:

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/tali-motorcycle-helmet-connected-safety-ces/

3 thoughts on “New High Tech Motorcycle Helmet to Enhance Convenience for Riders

1. According to Motorcycle Safety NHTSA “The number of motorcyclists killed in crashes dropped to 4,985 in 2018, an almost 5% decrease, but motorcycle riders are still overrepresented in traffic fatalities.” With a new technology like this, I believe that those fatalities could see a tremendous decrease- but it is very expensive. With all of the technological features like bluetooth, signaling to other people on the roads that they are turning or breaking, and the photochromic visor, this will only help to keep people safe when they are out and about. If someone could not afford this helmet, they could look into getting a Reevu – A HUD Motorcycle Helmet. This helmet was designed with style in mind as well solving a problem that plagues most street biker riders – not being able to see behind you. The “rear-view mirror” found in cars and trucks does not translate well into the design of a motorcycle- 2 tiny little side mirrors don’t seem to be able to provide hardly enough rear road visibility. The HUD (or Heads-up-Display) offers a real-time display of what is going on behind you. A helmet like this costs around $430
    https://badasshelmetstore.com/7-high-tech-helmets-high-tech-high-style/

2. I agree with the comments that if they lowered the price, people are more willing to buy this helmet. However, I think because new helmets have many safety features, people are also willing to wear helmet when they ride a motorcycle, and it can lead less motorcycle causalities in the future.
    Also, I think sharing location with app is really useful to find lost helmet. For my experience, I lost my air pod before, but I could find it because it is connected with my phone which shares the location. Likewise, I really think it is useful to find lost helmet through using digital mapping. (this feature is helpful)
    I found an article which is related with high tech helmet. Even this helmet is not released yet, there are some other smart helmets which have many good features. For example, Coros Omni which is smart cycling helmets and it is guaranteed for safe listening with using bone conduction speakers. Likewise, there are already many kinds of smart helmets, but Tali connected smart helmet is the most expectant one because it has many features at once.
    I’m excited to see this new helmet!
    https://www.digitaltrends.com/outdoors/best-smart-helmets/

3. This helmet will be revolutionary for motorcycle riders everywhere. Motorcycling is too dangerous without the rider wearing a helmet and this new technology will encourage riders to wear a helmet due to its convenience. Riders will probably want to wear this because they can make phone calls and listen to music directly from their helmet.
    One question the manufacturer has to ask is how many of the helmets will they actually sell? First of all, the helmet is very expensive which will drive people away from it. Also, many motorcyclists do not use a helmet anyway so I do not think some of them will even consider buying this. Maybe if they lowered the price by including less features, then people would be more willing to buy.