Implementation of a Robot on an Oil Rig

Spot, the dog-like robot companion from Boston Dynamics, will undergo one if its first operational tests on an an oil rig owned by Aker BP, a Norwegian oil company (Aker BP).

In partnership with Cognite, “a global industrial AI software-as-a-service (Saas) company” (Aker BP), Aker BP will employ numerous autonomous systems aboard the “Skarv installation” (Aker BP) in order to make the oil rig’s day-to-day “offshore operations safer, more efficient and more sustainable” (Aker BP).

According to the CEO of Aker BP in an interview within the article, “Digitalization will be one of the differentiators between the oil companies of the world, in order to be able to deliver low cost and low emissions. Our vision is to digitalize all our operations…Exploring the potential of robotics offshore underpin our digital journey” (Hersvik qtd. in Aker BP). I believe that this idea of digitization giving organizations the upper hand will prove to become more prominent within the upcoming years. Spot’s experience will set a precedent as to whether humans are ready to incorporate robots into their work environments, and if robots are technologically advanced enough to be effective coworkers.

It will be very interesting to see how this robot will perform in a hazardous environment such as a drilling operation. If this trial proves to be beneficial for Aker BP, a new window could possibly open concerning the role of machines in human work environments.

Here is the launch video for Spot- “Spot Launch” by Boston Dynamics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=72&v=wlkCQXHEgjA&feature=emb_title

“Spot Autonomous Navigation” by Boston Dynamics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ve9kWX_KXus&feature=emb_rel_pause

Discover Article (Not Used in Post)- “Boston Dynamics’ Robot Dog is going to Work on an Oil Rig” by Kristin Houser of the Futurism Publication: https://futurism.com/the-byte/boston-dynamics-robot-dog-work-oil-rig

Exploring the Potential of Robotics in the Oil and Gas Industry” by Aker BP: https://www.akerbp.com/en/exploring-the-potential-of-robotics-in-the-oil-and-gas-industry/

3 thoughts on “Implementation of a Robot on an Oil Rig

1. This is an awesome development in robotics. I think Boston Dynamics’ Spot will be very viable in hazardous environments, like an oil rig. If this focus in ‘digitalization’ works, the risks of this type of workplace can definitely be reduced by robotic automation, in addition to increased productivity and sustainability. Spot will be able to reach into less accessible areas in the rig to conduct maintenance or inspection. The amount of utility that it can provide is mind-boggling.
    Personally, I think that one of Spot’s most interesting aspects is in its programming. Instead of directly operated by a person, Spot’s software is designed to listen to commands but still operate autonomously. In Adam Savage’s (of Mythbuster fame) video, his team and Boston Dynamics’ programmers are able feed more data to Spot so that it independently adapts to the parameters of a new task. Spot can be seen pulling Adam’s rickshaw much faster and steadier once it knows to account for the weight and forces, on top of its base programming. I think this feature is the crux of Spot’s potential in the field.

Source:
    Adam Savage’s Spot Robot Rickshaw Carriage! video

2. I think it will be really helpful for human if robot can do hazardous work instead of us because working on oil rig is known as hardest and dangerous work environment. I also find an article that Boston Dynamic robot dogs are hired by Massachusetts police department to work in a bomb squad with them. I know that lots of dogs, especially German Shepherd, are work in a bomb squad to find out bomb and dangerous weapons. Because of that, many detection dogs get hurts and even die because there are many unexpected happens. However, if robots can replace their work and have more abilities for detection, I think we can reduce the number of deaths. Likewise, if robots can do the dangerous work such as oil drilling and detection, I think it will benefits for human too. However, I think that they should be used for good for human, not to take all the places for human.
    https://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/robots/a30872342/spot-boston-dynamics-norwegian-oil-rig/

3. I have been a big fan of Boston Dynamic’s robots for many years and I like to keep up to date with them to see how far they are advancing. Boston Dynamics probably has the most aesthetic, durable, intelligent, and mobile robots I have seen that are outside of the military use. What I am wondering is how exactly these robots will help maintain an oil rig and keep it safe. There is always room for error in machines and that is why specialized humans are there to fix things if they happen to go awry. Are these machines being implemented to make an oil rig safer, or are they eventually just going to take away jobs and make oil rigs fully autonomous? If these robots are used just to make the job safer and easier for people, I can see this implementation of spot having a massive amount of potential that it will soon become commonplace in many businesses in the future. I look forward to the advancements that are to be made as well as how well Spot is going to perform on an oil rig.