Uber’s New ‘On-Trip Reporting’ Tool Lets You Report Uncomfortable Rides In Real-Time

Uber has recently added a new feature in their app that allows you to report details of your trip in real time. The “On-Trip Reporting” allows passengers to discreetly alert the company about different type of incidents. This is helpful if the rider is put in an uncomfortable situation and wants to tell Uber instantly. If someone uses the “On-Trip Reporting” feature, an Uber representative will reach out to the rider and driver after the ride has ended, and the driver will receive educational materials on to better present themselves to riders. If the driver is continually reported, then Uber will take appropriate and additional actions. Before, customers would have to wait till after their ride to give Uber a response about their trip. A lot of people don’t use this feature as they are constantly in a rush and don’t necessarily have the time to give back feedback. This new feature is more convenient for passengers as they can report in real time.

I think this is a great feature for Uber because I’ve been in a couple different Uber rides where I have felt uncomfortable and didn’t know what to do. This is especially a great feature for when you are the only passenger. In my experience, a lot of my weird or awkward Uber rides have been when I’m the only passenger. When you’re with other people, it’s a little bit safer, as anything can go wrong when engaging with a stranger. Last year, Uber had nine murder cases, out the millions of trips taken every day. As slim of a chance, it is to get hurt during one of these rides, it’s still nerve raking to know that it could potentially happen to me. It’s nice knowing that this feature exists, if anything bad were to happen.

Source: https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2020/02/19/ubers-on-trip-reporting-tool-lets-you-report-incidents-real-time/4796368002/

5 thoughts on “Uber’s New ‘On-Trip Reporting’ Tool Lets You Report Uncomfortable Rides In Real-Time

1. I found this article rather interesting to read. As Uber has continued to expand all over the country, there has been an increase in stories about users having dangerous experiences. Although I have never had a bad interaction with Uber, very often people will have someone approach the car with them, and double checking who the driver is prior to entering for safety reasons. I think this feature is important for the advancement of Uber as company. As stated in the article Uber will also reprimand and provide explanations to drivers who are reported. No one is going to use this service if they deem it dangerous, so as safety increases, it is likely usage will rise as well. It will not only make riders feel more safe, but also protect them. Ubers website even has previously addressed this common issue under an article titled, “Safety Tips for Riders”. This feature is merely an advancement of that concept which involves direct action. Overall, this concept was a genius investment for Uber when it comes to progressing consumer and driver interactions.

Source: https://www.uber.com/us/en/ride/safety/tips/

2. This is certainly an interesting technology, thank you for sharing. I personally have never felt uncomfortable in an Uber and have never really thought about this but the more I think about it, the more I understand. If just one person is helped in some way by this new technology, than I think it is a great move from Uber. Uber in the past has been criticized for the lack of background checks and vetting of their drivers. After reading this and doing a little bit of research, I also find that Uber has a real problem with customers being uncomfortable in their rides and this seems like the best feasible solution to this problem.

Source: https://www.theverge.com/2019/12/5/20997939/uber-safety-report-2018-sexual-assault-ride-hailing-platform-stats

3. I definitely think this feature is beneficial. I rarely take Ubers alone because I am nervous about certain situations that can occur/the uncomfortableness of the driver and my time in the car. Having this feature would definitely make me feel safer in the car. I also that having drivers aware of this feature is beneficial. I believe they would be less likely to act in any strange way when they know we can easily contact the company right then and there. I think this would make drivers think twice about how to act with their customers. One thing is that I think Uber should advertise this more because I didn’t even know it was a feature until I read this post.

Source: https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/nation-world/ubers-new-tool-lets-you-discretely-report-safety-concerns-in-real-time/507-7d380716-188c-4099-a971-fd11b4290459

4. I found your post to be very unique and interesting. I was unaware about this new feature until I read your post and I’m very glad I did because along with everyone else, Iv’e also had my fair share of an uncomfortable Uber ride experience. I think feature is very important because it makes the company aware of this situations faster than they used to be. The issues they report with feature are for “non-emergency” scenarios, but still issues the rider finds to be a slight safety concern or a scenario in which they are uncomfortable. Uber has not received much feedback on their app before this new feature because individuals are in a hurry to get into their destination or they just simply forget. With this new feature, they are hopeful that since they can complete this task during their trip that they will receive more feedback on their drivers and individuals overall Uber experience. There are so many Uber trips taken every single day, all over the world. This new “On-Trip Reporting” is a great new feature that will improve the Uber company in a great way by eliminating the drivers that borderline shouldn’t be driving for them.
    https://www.uber.com/newsroom/on-trip-reporting-feature/

5. I completely agree with feeling uncomfortable during Uber rides, especially when I’m by myself. I really like this new feature, but I wish there was more that we could do in the moment. In 2018, there were roughly 8 sexual assaults a day (3,000 for the year). I feel like reporting feeling uncomfortable during the ride helps, but also I think sometimes it could be too late. Being on a college campus, I feel like students are constantly in Ubers, making it almost a “feeding ground” for sexual assault, especially since many kids ride home from parties. With that being said, sometimes being intoxicated may not allow them to report the incidents, which doesn’t help. Although you can look in your ride history and report it the next day, I think that sometimes being too late to report can be a problem as well. I’ll admit, I never reported the times that I felt uncomfortable in Ubers because I didn’t know how to, but this new feature is great since it is literally at our fingertips.

Source: https://www.wired.com/story/criminologist-uber-crime-report-highly-alarming/