Wondering if you have coronavirus symptoms? Ask Siri and the iPhone assistant can help

Siri, the virtual assistant on Apple products, now has ability to determine if yo have symptoms associated with coronavirus. Simply ask on any of your apple products, “Siri, what are the symptoms of the coronavirus?”. Siri will then prompt you through a list of questions, provided by the U.S. Public Health Service and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Siri will ask if you have particular symptoms, including fever, trouble breathing, or dry cough. It will also ask if you have been in contact with someone who has coronavirus. All questions are “yes”, “no”, “not sure” answers to ensure more clear answers. Siri will then asses what risk you are at. It even offers tips on hand washing and social distancing. Apple has also been helpful during this pandemic as it has highlighted important videos and apps in the App Store regarding the virus.

I think that it is important that Apple has programed Siri to do this as people are not sure if they have it, and can only get tested if they show severe symptoms. This allows more people to find out their risk and level of coronavirus, and take appropriate steps. I think during a time like this, companies like Apple, are making it easier for more people to get informed.

Source: https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2020/03/23/coronavirus-symptom-concerns-ask-siri-assess-your-condition/2897053001/

3 thoughts on “Wondering if you have coronavirus symptoms? Ask Siri and the iPhone assistant can help

1. I think it’s really smart of Apple to embed this within Siri on any of their Apple devices. Not only could it potentially provide someone with information about their symptoms and how to treat them, but also could greatly help those that work within the medical field by limiting the amount of “maybe” patients that are currently flooding the ER. However, in the article I read said that one of the questions Siri asks is if the person has been exposed to anyone that has COVID-19. Maybe people are asymptomatic therefore, the accuracy of Siri’s results can’t be depended on. Also, many sickness share symptoms of those of COVID-19 making it very are to distinct the actual virus from something more minimal and basic.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2020/03/23/coronavirus-symptom-concerns-ask-siri-assess-your-condition/2897053001/

2. I agree that it is great that Apple has taken it upon themselves to help in any way they can with stopping the spread of the virus. Utilizing Siri to help individuals stay healthier is brilliant since it is so easy to talk to Siri and hear feedback from her. I hope more companies like Apple are helping during this terrible time since the world needs all the help it can get. I believe that Apple could have let more of the public know about Siri’s ability to help with Coronavirus because reading this post was the first time I found out that Siri could do this. Informing the public of any new advancements is essential to our ability to beat this Virus and I am glad we are coming together as a community to tackle this terrible thing.

source: http://www.sacculturalhub.com/item/14775-wondering-if-you-have-coronavirus-symptoms-ask-siri-and-the-iphone-assistant-can-help

3. I really like the idea that Siri is equipped to do this. However, I guess my question is how accurate is this? I know there are websites that someone can take an assessment on (Doctor on Demand), which may be more accurate/helpful. However, I’m glad Apple is putting something more universal out there for people because it might guide them to go get tested if they were unsure if they should or shouldn’t. I think Doctor on Demand may be a little bit more helpful (or a second step) to Siri because you can explain your symptoms more than just a “yes”, “no”, or “unsure” answer, which could give the doctor more insight. The website also assesses based on CDC recommendations and gives tips (like social distancing) to help slow the spread of COVID-19.

https://www.doctorondemand.com/coronavirus