iPad Pro- Your New Laptop?

The new iPad Pro has many software improvements from the previous model. Users experience faster loading of larger applications. It also has many new features added to it like a mouse and a camera which uses LiDAR technology. LiDAR is used mostly in AR devices and it surprised me when I first read about it. The camera finds where the users finger placement is to speed up where they click on the screen. Apple is also intending to release a keyboard equipped with a touch bar, making using the device a lot more user friendly.

I think this is very interesting as I am learning more about AR and LiDAR technologies in one of my other courses. I was also interested in using an iPad for some of my work within my major and although this version is out of my price range, I think this technology is really advanced and I cannot wait to see what other advances Apple and other tech companies will make in the tech world.

URL: https://www.popsci.com/story/technology/ipad-pro-magic-trackpad-review-laptop-replacement/

4 thoughts on “iPad Pro- Your New Laptop?

1. I think it’s really interesting to see the direction that Apple is taking the iPad. When they first introduced it in 2010, the most common criticism was that “it’s just a big iPhone/iPod Touch”. That stigma stuck around for quite a while and wasn’t really that far off the mark. This was mainly because Apple didn’t decide to present the device as anything more, and the device was only getting smaller in size and screen upgrades every year. A few years ago, Apple decided to start pushing the narrative that the iPad could replace your traditional desktop computer. At the time a lot of people scoffed at the idea, and maybe rightfully so. But fast forward to today, and there are people in all industries and job types using the iPad on a daily basis in ways you probably didn’t think were possible. A great example of this is the editor-in-chief of a website called MacStories. The editor, Federico Viticci, has been using an iPad as his main computing device for the better part of a decade now and is on the forefront of how to use this device as “real computer” to get “real work” done.

I’m excited to see how far Apple decides to take this approach, because extremely portable, razor-thin, touchscreen computers that have the processing power and capability of a traditional desktop computer really seems like the future to me.

Source: https://www.macstories.net/stories/modular-computer/

2. I think with each new model of the iPad, Apple makes more strides towards this device being more mainstream and used for more than just entertainment. Over the last few years, the number of students I see taking notes on iPads with all its accessories has gone up with each passing semester. Apple is always adding new technology, and the new LIDAR technology is just their most recent innovation towards making this device more practical. I think as Apple continues this, they will see more people spending the money on them. They have centered their focus of the iPad on making it more useful in everyday life. I think they could create easier to use keyboards, more reasonably priced accessories, and support of more programs to make the iPad a viable alternative to traditional laptops.

3. Wow I think this is really cool. In my high school, I used an iPad for school and in college I now use a laptop. There are benefits I see from both technologies, but bringing them into one (which it sounds like this new device is doing) would be awesome. For example, I loved the touch screen of the iPad and found it much easier to take notes on using different applications. However, with a laptop it is much easier for me to type on a keyboard and store things. I think it for sure depends on what kind of working you are doing on your device to do decide if this iPad can replace a laptop.

https://www.lifewire.com/ipad-replace-laptop-desktop-pc-1994308

4. I have very amazed that nowadays, lots of people actually use their iPad pro as their laptop and note. When I first used Ipad when I was 18, I did not feel anything special about the iPad. It was always better to use a laptop than an iPad because there were certain problems using an iPad. It was hard to write and many of the functions were made for playing then for academic purposes. Now, more functions were developed and it becomes very efficient for academic purposes and in the future when laptops get more loafer, then more people would use an iPad for their laptops or notes.

https://www.gsmarena.com/apple_ipad_pro_12_9_2018-review-1863p7.php