How Active People Are on Social Media

Due to the recent global pandemic of the coronavirus many people have had so much free time other hands. Even though we have other things to keep us busy like spending time with family and doing school work social media seems to be a lot of peoples go to so obviously like the title of the article “Best Times to Post on Social Media Right Now”. Personally I noticed an increase of likes on my pictures and also throughout all of the people that I follow, not much to post though while in quarantine. According to the article “Activity on Facebook is now consistently high throughout every weekday. Previously, activity peaked on Wednesday from 11 a.m. and 1-2 p.m,, making that the best time to post on Facebook.”. Facebook is not an app I usually use but what interested me most is what they had to say about Instagram which was “Instagram’s activity is now much more concentrated in the work day, Previously, Wednesday at 11 a.m. and Friday from 10 a.m.–11 a.m. were identified as the best times to post. Now there’s less early morning activity, as well as a sharp drop-off after 6pm. Therefore, mid-afternoon has been identified as an ideal time to post. Specifically – Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 11 a.m. and Tuesday at 2 p.m. are the best times to post on Instagram.Another interesting shift when it comes to Instagram activity is that weekends, especially Sundays, were traditionally the worst times to post.” All of this information is really interesting how they can tell when people are on the apps and how active most people are. It also intrigued me how there’s a trend on when most people go on to social media.

https://www.searchenginejournal.com/best-times-to-post-on-social-media-right-now/365504/#close

5 thoughts on “How Active People Are on Social Media

1. One thing that people tend to appreciate is the internet during these hard times, myself included. With the whole quarantine situation happening, many people tend to use the internet for either finding a new job, continuing their online job (whether it’s being a competitive eSports player, a content creator, etc), or just to simply satisfy their own boredom and take advantage of this time to binge shows and or be active on social media to maintain contact with friends who may have travelled back home or just to be in a safe distance from each other.

2. I believe too much usage of social media might be harmful, but being active in social media also has positive sides. Before there were social media, people tend to call or meet each other in order to find out to show how they are living. However thanks to social media, people are able to tell or show their relatives or friends how they are spending their time without calling or meeting them. This shows positive results in human interactions as people can meet with new people and able to make their own network. However, we also need to worry about people’s depression since social media showing only outward happiness.

3. I think that we are all doing the best we can to stay connected. Since we are literally isolated without our friends and some of our family, or your entire family if you live alone, people are missing people. I think that this is a natural occurrence as it makes since that if we can’t see others in person then we will try and see them digitally. The spike in social media usage might also be caused by the extra time on some people’s hands. Not everyone is able to work from home, as proven by our exponential spike in unemployment, so lots of people have free time to spare and may just be bored. There is also a good amount of the population using social media as a distraction from the chaos that’s actively ensuing in the world. And now people don’t have to worry much about the “depressing” factor of social media when they use it–that is, we’re not seeing others and comparing ourselves or our lives to theirs. There are no new pictures from a summer a vacation or status updates about engagements (at least, not as many) so there we’re less likely to feel sorry for ourselves and not doing those things. We are all isolated and there is no envy to be drawn.

4. I’m really glad that I stumbled across this post, reason being that I have an idea that the innovative technology could possibly be used for. Perhaps, the technology that is used to detect when most people are active on social media platforms could also be used to identify the times where most people are active on streaming platforms such as Netflix, Hulu, etc. I know that many people have been complaining about their internet speeds, especially when it comes to Netflix and apps alike. Therefore, this technology could be used to let users identify when less people are clogging the network, allowing them to enjoy what they are watching with no interference.

5. I believe that humans spending a little more time on social media currently is not a bad thing. Even if they are more online during traditional “work hours” it should be viewed as a normal thing. I recently read this article that talked about how we should view our time spend on social media similarly to calories. The comparison made was that humans are fulfilling their civic duties by staying at home and social distancing, however, as social creatures, we require some social interaction. The same way in which humans need calories to survive but it should be done in moderation.

Source: https://theconversation.com/the-coronavirus-lockdown-is-forcing-us-to-view-screen-time-differently-thats-a-good-thing-135641