NBA Virtual Fan Experience

The COVID19 pandemic changed so many things about the world as we knew it. The sports industry was hit particularly hard, when all competition was cancelled and postponed in order to restrict any sort of gathering and transfer of the virus. As the months went on, and society begin to reopen and plan safe ways to conduct every day life, sport competition also resumed in a very unique way, without any spectators.

The NBA has found a way to get fans “into” the games without leaving their homes. Technology has made it possible to get virtual fans at the games, benefitting all parties involved. The NBA, in collaboration with Microsoft, created a viewing experience for fans to watch the game in real time through live streams. The veiwers’ camera is also turned on, and their video is projected in the virtual stands that surround the court in the Orlando Bubble at Disney Campus, where these special games are occurring.  The NBA is projecting this program to grow as the play offs begin, and are also hoping to get more sponsors and people involved.

Fans can sign up using a simple form on their individual team’s website, and other teams are offering the limited seats to season ticket holders and friends and family of the players. It does not cost anything to attend one of these games, if you are lucky enough to get selected. If fans are selected to virtually attend the game, they provide a username and password, and use Microsoft teams for communication and meeting purposes. There are some rules that come along with being a virtual fan, like only one person per seat, and no offensive language is prohibited.

People are really beginning to get used to doing everyday tasks virtually. Technology has made this time a little bit easier to adapt to these times, and there are new advancements everyday. Everyday pandemic life is changing everyday as people are finding new ways, such as the NBA virtual fan experience, to go about life as we knew it. This is so unique and it is also entertaining to watch all of the fans in their respective environments.

Sources: https://www.nba.com/article/2020/08/10/virtual-fans-help-restart-atmosphere

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/virtual-fan-video-board-2020-nba-restart/5h4c8szswyyi1tu9tc4ro95pd

https://thesportsrush.com/nba-news-nba-virtual-fans-sign-up-cost-how-much-does-it-cost-to-be-on-nba-virtual-fan-screen/

8 thoughts on “NBA Virtual Fan Experience

1. I believe the Virtual Fan Experience the NBA is providing is an intriguing solution to engage with fans. I feel that the technology was implemented very well and the Virtual Fans do not distract from the game at hand. They also have provided for many entertaining moments as fans will hold props like a broom to their camera after a team has just been swept out of the series. I didn’t think very highly of the idea of virtual fans at first as I knew it just wouldn’t be the same as hearing the crowd roar, boo, and cheer. I was worried they might not contribute the playoff atmosphere that fans wanted to see on TV from home. The NBA proved me wrong, however, by using technology in a way that not only improved the fans’ experience, but also helped foster the intense playoff energy the league strives for.

2. This idea of the NBA having visual fans in the stands of the arena is a smart and creative idea during these hard times. It’s a great way to show support to the players and for other fans to see on TV, making it almost look like there are fans in the stands. I personally do not follow Basketball, but I do follow and love to watch Hockey. I think the NHL should incorporate this same system into the two hockey stadiums that the players have been playing in. Also, after seeing the rules and/or directions, this technology could be placed into football and baseball stadiums too. I wonder if having the virtual fans in the stands actually affects the players on the court, do they even care of notice? Overall, I think this is a great idea to keep the fans involved in the sport they love. Continuing this technology for other sports would be a great way to keep fans “in the stadium”. Even though this is a great idea, I hope that one day soon actual people will fill the seats at sporting events.

3. First off I just want to say that although things seemed odd at first watching sports with no fans, personally I think it’s really just become normal. Watching all these sports with no real fans doesn’t necessarily seem odd anymore because it’s just good to be able to watch again. What really is different is the fact that no fans are allowed in any of the stadiums to watch in person. I know for sure I really missed attending an awesome Yankees vs Red Sox game at the end of July, but hey at least games are being played now. To your point about the NBA and these virtual fans, I think it’s a great opportunity for fans to still be involved. Only the NBA and WWE have so far used these virtual fan bases, but from what I learned in the article I read, the WWE had some issues with fans violating rules. So here we see two platforms, one successful and the other not so much in terms of virtual fans, so how will other sports attempt to normalize the game on TV?

I agree that this is a positive thing happening at least for the NBA, and as people continue to use technology and communicate virtually every day this whole idea is now normalized, but in the end, I don’t think all these sports have plans to stay virtual for the rest of time. I believe that there will be a time, maybe not for three plus years that fans will be able to pack stadiums and enjoy the atmosphere of professional athletes competing, but for now my question is if this idea of virtual fans is even necessary? At this point, only the NBA has virtual fans, but does that really make a difference in viewership? There is very limited “seating”, which makes me wonder how many more or less viewers this virtual fan base actually provides to networks and teams.

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/surreal-experience-of-being-an-nba-virtual-fan-shows-why-technology-is-nothing-without-humanity-behind-it/

4. Technology has had such a large effect on the ability to have sports like the NBA be able to make a comeback during COVID. It is helping now that fans can’t be there but will also help when fans are able to make their return. Technology such as touchless doors, e-tickets, and cashless payments will all make the transition to in-person safer (HOK). All-virtual technology is important in the sports world right now, however, these smaller technologies such as online concession lines will allow people to come back together in person while still benefitting from technology. Sports are a staple in our society along with technology and using them hand in hand will help sports return in person sooner.
    Source: https://www.hok.com/news/2020-05/technology-will-help-sports-venues-fill-again-after-covid-19/

5. I think this is a unique idea, but makes me question what it feels like to be not just an athlete in the NBA but all athletes who are having to play games without fans. The part where fans get to watch livestreams of their favorite teams reminds me of just normal TV. The only aspect that is different is fans being able to “attend” these games. Do athletes even pay attention to their virtual fans? This situation is very hard and everyone is trying their best to make everything feel somewhat normal.

6. I’ve been watching the NHL playoffs recently and they have been doing something similar. Instead of filling where the seats would be with virtual fans, they just have screens in the corners of the arena that has the fans who signed up to do it. Personally I think this is a weird idea. There is no difference between the virtual fan and the fans watching from home, other than having your face on tv.

One thing that surprised me about this method is the fact that they aren’t making the fans pay to be on the displays. Due to professional sports leagues history, it seems like they make everything payed for. I guess this shows that the leagues will be flexible in times like these for everyone.

Source: https://www.nbcsports.com/virtualfans

7. It’s a whole new world whether we would like to admit it or not. After reading your post, this information was so new to me that they were doing virtual games! It just goes to show how important technology is in today’s world and how it is creating a new norm for us that we are starting to accept.

After reading chapter one in the textbook it just goes to show that internet usage has skyrocketed over the years and it makes sense why. There is something new every day that makes our lives easier and more convenient. It always there for flexibility when working online, especially when COVID began, companies were able to go online immediately for the safety of their people. The internet is our savior at this time for we are able to continue classes, online work, and calls, but also have perks like attending NBA games in the comfort of your home! It is so easy and low cost for people to come together via the internet to work together or attend a game. Although everyone is yearning for in-person activities introducing online games has still included some chaos from the audience and performances which provides a fun new way of entertainment.

Although it is so easy to access anything with the internet some people try to avoid it at all costs. I was reading a Washington Post article that talked about a devoted fan who hated the experience of logging into her favorite game. Along with a lot of people, many are missing that experience aspect. Where you go get dressed, buy the vendor food, and sit to enjoy your favorite team play in person. That is what is upsetting about this time, however, I agree that the virtual experience is adaptable. It is a unique way to introduce normalcy to groups of people who have been stuck in quarantine and the pandemic in general for so long.

SOURCES:
    https://psu.pb.unizin.org/ist110/chapter/1-4-internet-users-and-usage/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2020/08/13/nbas-virtual-fan-experience-allows-fans-plug-into-bubble/

8. The whole idea of being a virtual fan is so weird, but also interesting. It is amazing how fast the NBA has been able to adapt to the changes brought by COVID and provide fans with a special experience to watch the game. Although I hope in person games will be possible at some point, the idea of virtual spectators may be the reality for a while. It is cool how the fans are randomly chosen and do not have to pay to be a virtual spectator. It offers a way to watch the game that is different than just watching it on your TV. COVID has caused many aspects of people’s lives to change and technology has become such a big role in everyones lives. After learning what this technology can do in such a short time, I am interested to see what other creative ways are created to interact with others online and complete daily tasks that would normally be in person over a screen. In class, we mentioned cybersecurity and that is a field that I believe will be very important in the future. With everything online, companies must regulate security and information in order to protect the people using it. It seems the NBA is able to take any spectators breaking the rules off and allow the other spectators to have the best experience possible.

Source: https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/surreal-experience-of-being-an-nba-virtual-fan-shows-why-technology-is-nothing-without-humanity-behind-it/