Sony Announces Playstation 5 Release Date and Price

On Wednesday afternoon, Playstation held an event where they showcased some of the new games coming to their new console, the PS5, as well as the release date and price. The new console will release on November 12 in select countries (US and Canada included), and November 19 to the rest of the world. There are two different editions of the PS5, the regular PS5 (disc compatible), which will cost $499.99, and the PS5 digital edition, $399.99. Most players, such as myself, will likely opt for the digital edition, as we already download all of our games from the Playstation Store and it is $100 cheaper than the disc version. It will be interesting to see how the PS5 and the Xbox Series X do against each other, when it comes to sales, but I guess we will find out in November.

https://www.gamesradar.com/ps5-showcase-event-every-trailer-and-announcement-from-the-show/

11 thoughts on “Sony Announces Playstation 5 Release Date and Price

1. Personally, I’m not sure whether or not I will purchase one of the new consoles when they are released. Currently I have a PS4, with which i also own the majority of my games digitally. I believe that if I were to purchase one of these consoles, I would probably opt for the PS5 without the disk function. I think that the extra $100 seems to be a waste, since the market for these games is becoming more online, through streaming services such as PS Now. In the future of gaming, I think that having the disk feature will become obsolete and unnecessary.

2. I find it interesting that both SONY and Microsoft have decided to add online games only for 1 of their two new consoles releasing in Mid-November. The fact that both of them are releasing their respective consoles within days of each other just shows the high level of competition between the companies. Personally, I will be buying the Xbox Series X. I have always been a pretty avid video game player my whole life. Not as much as some people, but enough to give a decent opinion on these consoles. One thing that Microsoft has done and continues to do in backwards compatibility. For those who don’t know what that means, it means games from previous Xbox’s have the ability to play on the newer ones. I believe this is a huge selling point and is a very good option that the Xbox allows for. Also as stated before, I am completely willing to pay an extra $100 for a all online buying version of the console.

3. That is very interesting, as an Xbox player myself it is always fun to see what the competitors are doing with their consoles. The Xbox series X is said to be coming out November 10 which is 2 days before the playstation. That will definitely be an awesome week to really see the differences between the two consoles and what their pros and cons are. A lot of new technology is being put into the consoles as well but that is for a later discussion.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2020/09/09/xbox-series-x-and-xbox-series-s-launching-november-10/

4. I’m a fan of the Playstation platform. Because what I love more than Xbox is the elaborate exclusive games on PlayStation. For example, The last of us series, Yakuza series, these games are more like a novel, more like art. But for now, I think exclusive games are the most attractive part of the Playstation platform. So many old players who have just launched may still be in a wait-and-see state. Only when they see amazing games on sale will they think about it. And I don’t want Playstation 5 to be just an upgrade of Playstation 4. I hope to see many excellent things on Playstation 5, such as top-notch graphics and brand new control mode.

Source: https://sea.pcmag.com/game-systems/37370/sony-playstation-5-release-date-price-news-and-more

5. I’m a fan of the Playstation platform. Because what I love more than Xbox is the elaborate exclusive games on PlayStation. For example, The last of us series, Yakuza series, these games are more like a novel, more like art. But for now, I think exclusive games are the most attractive part of the Playstation platform. So many old players who have just launched may still be in a wait-and-see state. Only when they see amazing games on sale will they think about it. And I don’t want PS 5 to be just an upgrade of PS 4. I hope to see many excellent things on PS 5, such as top-notch pictures and brand new control mode.

Source:https://sea.pcmag.com/game-systems/37370/sony-playstation-5-release-date-price-news-and-more

6. Hey Matt, I enjoyed reading your breakdown of this article. I currently own the Playstation 4, if I choose to get the next generation consoles I will probably choose the Playstation 5. Like yourself, I will be going the cheaper version as well most likely because being completely digital is much more convenient than having multiple discs for games. I wonder why the digital version is cheaper, because it seems like digital would be the way to go. No need for the disc slot makes it slightly smaller.
    After reading the source posted below I thought of a few reasons why the digital edition may be cheaper. First of all, people like to buy the discs and like to have a whole collection of all the games they have. Also, since there is no disc slot, chances are it won’t be able to play games from later consoles. I guess this makes sense.

Source: https://www.androidauthority.com/ps5-vs-ps5-digital-edition-1137850/

7. Obviously everyone has different priorities and what-not, but for me there’s no way I am buying the digital edition. I would lose access to using all of my PS4 games on PS5 and I just prefer hard copy over digital. It might be old fashioned or whatever, but at least for me it feels like I actually own it. Also, games often come with maps or additional things inside the case. I like having a collection and seeing all of my games from PS2, PS3, PS4, and soon PS5. Lastly, I feel like I’ll end up getting the $100 back as I often share games with friends and save lost of money that way.

8. While I am not an avid video game player, my brother plays all of the time, but his console of choice is the Xbox. I imagine that he would choose the new box console over the PS5 but this new console has some interesting features.
    One thing that is interesting is how they have a completely digital version. This is a good move and makes a lot of sense to me considering I assume a large portion of people buy their games digitally now. This option is also appealing to younger people because of the cheaper price and the younger players are most likely the ones who use all virtual games anyways.
    Another thing I find very interesting about the PlayStation 5 is how it will be the largest console they have made. I feel like when it comes to technology the normal trend is the more models created the smaller and more compact the devices become. Smaller devices are more appealing in my opinion so I think it is odd that Sony will now have an even larger device.

9. I think what mainly caught my attention about this blog post is the fact that there wasn’t much said about how the new Xbox Series X is also coming out, creating a big push of competition coming between Sony and Microsoft. Personally I have a PS4, but I’ve had both over the years. I have no idea which I prefer because to me it seems that there are always problems with both. I think it really just matters what devices the people you want to play with have. Crazy enough, when I read an article on the sales of previously made gaming devices, about 108.9 million PS4’s were sold, and only 46.9 million Xbox One’s were sold. Both were released in 2013. The Xbox One stopped releasing the Xbox unit sales, but this was an estimated number that game developers and other 3rd parties came up with. Either way, the sales seem completely lopsided so I’m interested to see how the sales turn out in November.

Source: https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2020/05/05/just-how-badly-did-the-ps4-and-switch-outsell-the-xbox-one-this-generation/#532cd68f5b0c

10. I’m not too sure of which version I’ll be buying, but if I’m thinking of the long run here, I’ll most likely be going for the disc version since I think of it as future-proofing. I would never want to be in a position where say I want a collectors edition of a game or I win something similar where it requires a disc for me to play and I just don’t have a disc for it. I feel like if you’re going to be spending that much on a console you might as well throw in an extra $100 just to be safe from situations like that.