Facebook to add new Feature to Protect Creators Images

According to Carrie Mihalcik of cnet.com, Facebook is in the early stages of creating a tool to “help creators and publishers protect their intellectual property” (Mihalcik). Facebook plans to use its Rights Manager for Images to accomplish this. The tool uses “‘image matching technology to help creators and publishers protect and manage their image content'” (Mihalcik). Facebook is launching the tool to “select partners” as of today; however, the firm is hopeful that eventually, all users will receive access. Likewise, the tool will also enable users to “issue image takedown requests and use territorial blocks to restrict images in locations where they hold a copyright” (Mihalcik). Eventually, Facebook plans to roll out the Rights Manager for Images tool for Instagram as well.

Overall, I believe this feature is a step in the right direction for creator rights on social media platforms. Creator image rights are currently a large problem on Instagram. Often large Instagram accounts take entertaining photos or video clips from other smaller accounts and repost them without crediting the original account. The Rights Manager for Images tool could help these smaller accounts, as creators could file a takedown request because they are the original owner of the content. Likewise, sometimes people like to keep a more private profile on social media. This tool would allow users to enhance their privacy by being able to report other accounts who have reposted previously uploaded content. Another circumstance where I see this being useful deals with advertising spaces. Often when on Instagram I come across many ads that repost another user’s post without permission. This tool would prevent other organizations from profiting off of someone’s content without seeking permission first, as the user could report the account to Instagram or Facebook.

Overall, I think the Rights Manager for Images tool will be very helpful in terms of further establishing creator and privacy rights for Facebook and Instagram users. I am interested to see how this affects some of the accounts I follow, as a majority of the content is reposted.

Source: https://www.cnet.com/news/facebook-adds-new-tool-to-help-creators-protect-their-images/

10 thoughts on “Facebook to add new Feature to Protect Creators Images

1. I believe the protection of online content is a very important issue in today’s society. More and more often we are seeing manipulated or plagiarized media go viral on platforms like Twitter. I believe that Facebook is taking an encouraging step for content creators by introducing their Rights Manager tool. Not only will it prevent “plagiarism posting,” but it will also reduce the amount of manipulated and/or false media available to the public.

I also believe Facebook’s Rights Manager is a positive change on a personal level. It will allow users to feel more secure with what they are posting. There will be less fake profiles, spam, and “catfishing.” The ability of a user to change the status of qualifying posts within Rights Manager will help make Facebook a more secure and private platform. I hope other social media companies like Instagram and Twitter follow suit with the implementation of similar tools.

Source: https://techcrunch.com/2020/09/21/facebooks-new-rights-manager-tool-lets-creators-protect-their-photos-including-those-embedded-elsewhere/

2. I think this new function introduced by Facebook can protect the personal rights and interests of creators to a certain extent. With the development of social media, people are willing to share their achievements and works like some pictures on various social platforms. However, there are so many cases that strangers repost others’ works without permission, and even my friends and I had similar experiences before. The feeling that the original author has worked hard for a long time and has been taken as his own property by a stranger is not pleasant. I think this function can help the original author to communicate with the people who repost it and stop using their works. If there is no such function, some people will ignore the original author’s request for deletion, or even speak ill of the original author. So although this function may not be 100% effective, it can at least give an effective warning to those who love to use other people’s works casually.

Source: https://thetechportal.com/2020/09/21/microsoft-acquires-bethesdas-parent-company-zenimax-media-to-compete-with-ps5-exclusives/

3. Personally I think having this feature is a great idea, since creator or the original poster have the rights to know. The copyrights is always an issue on social media and it does potentially creates more risks for users. For example, there are some people use my friends picture to make another account and use that account to selling goods or scam people. However, with this feature people can have the rights to tell that his/her post have been used by others. This is also a big step for social media, which gives people more rights and protection.

4. I personally think that’s the right direction for social networking. On Instagram, we can see that a large number of accounts get a lot of attention by reposing content created by others. And sometimes these reposes don’t get the permission of the creator. Such behavior is totally disrespectful to the content created by the creator. When the new rules are about to be implemented, it also gives other creators an effort to create their own content, rather than repose others’ content. At the same time, many well-known photographers or artists will be more willing to share their works for everyone after receiving such protection.

Source:https://techcrunch.com/2020/09/21/facebooks-new-rights-manager-tool-lets-creators-protect-their-photos-including-those-embedded-elsewhere/

5. I think this tool is much needed, especially on Instagram, because I see people’s intellectual property being stolen all the time. Especially when it comes to advertisements and artwork, I feel like Facebook isn’t doing enough to protect its creators. You are already able to report people for copyright violations or stolen content on Instagram, so I wonder how this will be different and if they will use AI technology to monitor these kinds of things. I wonder how they are going to differentiate between copyright/stealing intellectual property versus reposting something.

6. I think that this is a step in the right direction for social media creators. There are so many accounts with posts that have been taken from the original person and posted for inspiration or to create a certain look for someone’s feed. I think that giving credit always is crucial on social media and this tool should be open to the public and not just influencers.
    The rights manager can really help to put an end to accounts reposting the same things just to get follows, likes, and engagements. Everyone is constantly searching for clout but its never something of their own, its using other people’s influence in society to help them gain attention in the end.
    Reading more of the rights manger off of the facebook’s site leads me to believe more that people should have this control over their post and content. Many people are unknown that their content is being used without credibility and this tool helps to make it efficient for many people to find. This helps to build connections based on one’s own original post and stop the influx of the same advertisements and post being spread on social media. I think this will overall help companies to have full control when using social media platforms for the benefit of their company.

https://rightsmanager.fb.com/

7. This is a really interesting start to some sort of solution on social media for issues troubling content creators. It will be very interesting to see how this turns out for those who post content on other social media. I often see people repost content creators Youtube videos onto Facebook and I’m curious to see how that gets affected if at all. Although I believe that there is a positive aim to this. It is definitely concerning to realize it is just another form of censorship on social media. Of course its great for “influencers” or photographers to protect their images from those that want to steal it and use it for profit. However, it’s troubling to know that certain images could be prevented from being spread due to a technical copyright which is completely different from the usual of the internet.
    https://techcrunch.com/2020/09/21/facebooks-new-rights-manager-tool-lets-creators-protect-their-photos-including-those-embedded-elsewhere/

8. I am completely opposed to this; while credit should be given where credit is due, where do the limitations reside for Facebook to punish users who repost content or replicate content? A huge aspect of social media is virality, and by potentially moderating this, Facebook could suffer. In terms of stealing a random picture and using that as their own–that is a bit weird, but catfish accounts already can get banned without these protocols. More importantly, if I am recording a video in a crowd, and there is music in the background, my video could be taken down. Isn’t the whole point of social media to share these moments? For the music producers, this is free marketing for their artists and songs. Copyrighting these videos become annoying for individuals who are using the platform, and at the end of the day, it diminishes the point of social media. YouTube’s copyright issues have made life difficult for many creators. Even on personal projects of mine, where the video is unlisted, I have been struck down in certain regions. The Verge points out that, “creators shared stories of how their channels were being threatened with a third copyright strike — and the possible termination of their channels — from an anonymous extortionist.” This danger will only be exacerbated on platforms such as Instagram, where it would be easy to target individuals who do not know any better or do not understand copyright laws. If we are to protect creators, do so based on identity theft and fraud, rather than their work being shared in admiration or within other videos.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/11/18220032/youtube-copystrike-blackmail-three-strikes-copyright-violation

9. I agree with you that Facebook is definitely taking a step in the right direction. Users on all social media apps repost something from time to time and the original poster is usually not given credit. Accounts on social media like psubarstool are guilty of this for posting someone’s funny video from around campus but not crediting the original poster.

I think a good way Facebook combatted content stealing in the past on Instagram was the creation of reposts on stories. On a person’s Instagram story, they can repost another person’s content and it will give the original person’s username in the left hand corner. This addition doesn’t account for if the person who is thought to be the original poster actually is not. So while it works in some cases, the Rights Manager for Images will be much more useful.

This topic relates to our lesson on data. When people steal photos of yours to repost them, they are essentially stealing your data. In addition to what Instagram has done above, they also tried to prevent a way for users to use copyrighted music. Instagram will now notify the user if there is copyrighted music on their story or on their Instagram live. If no actions are taken after Instagram sends this message, the story will be deleted or the live will be stopped.

Source: https://in.mashable.com/tech/14198/instagram-will-now-notify-you-when-you-use-copyrighted-music-in-stories-posts

10. It is known that anyone who takes a photo or creates their own original artwork like images or posts to Facebook has the right to be acknowledged as the creator of that image. This means that they automatically own the copyright for that photo. This also means that they have the legal right to decide where and how that image can be used. I find myself often browsing through social medias like Instagram and Facebook, and I have noticed that creator’s images are always at risk. It is so easy to take a simple screenshot of an image and post it and pass it as your own. I am fascinated to see how Facebook executes this new feature to protect original images.