10G Smart Home Revealed By Mediacom

Recently, in Ames, Iowa, a new, 10G smart home by Mediacom was revealed. Due to the pandemic, as many people began working or learning from home, the need for a faster internet increased greatly. With a platform running 10 gigabits per second and having over 70 smart devices, this smart home provides a glimpse into life in the future. According to Kylee Mullen from the Ames Tribune, “such speeds allow devices in the house — smart kitchen appliances like a voice-activated faucet, smart coffee maker mug and water bottles; smart security systems like flood, smoke and motion detectors; and virtual and augmented reality for communication and gaming — to work together” (Mullen). To me, all these smart devices seem incredibly interesting and convenient to have. Tom Larsen, the Senior Vice President of Government Public Relations for Mediacom stated, “‘you could do everything you ever want to do from home without ever having to leave’” (Mullen).

During these days, in the middle of a pandemic, this smart home sounds like a pretty good idea to be living in since it will slow the spread if less people leave their house. However, when the need to quarantine ends in the future, this technology might discourage social interaction with the outside world. In my opinion, while I would love to live in a smart home that has numerous features and does whatever I want it to, in the long run, (post-COVID) I feel as though it might be harmful as people will be even more drawn towards staying indoors, instead of being out, physically interacting with the world. But, at the same time, this smart home provides a look into the many advantages technology can offer.

Source: https://www.amestrib.com/story/business/2020/09/18/mediacom-communications-tour-of-10-g-broadband-internet-smart-home-in-ames-iowa/3487502001/

7 thoughts on “10G Smart Home Revealed By Mediacom

1. I find the creation of an even faster method of digital communication to be incredibly intriguing, however I feel that the way the article and product description is worded seems to be in effort to mislead the end user. Checking out the website behind the article (https://www.cablelabs.com/10g) looking for more information on just *how* these supposed speeds are being reached, I can’t help but feel like there isn’t a lot of detail being provided on what deployment would actually look like on an industrial scale and a residential scale. For example, I can see the advertised speeds being reached in areas surrounding a fiber optic hub, but when it comes to smaller towns I have trouble understanding just how much differently the data is being handled to allow the claims being made to be validated. I might be able to understand if it was being deployed as a giant mesh network, but even still, as a Xfinity Wireless phone plan user I’m left skeptical of the feasibility (xfinitywifi is a joke that at it’s strongest is slower than one bar LTE), especially with the claim that they’re using a “hybrid system” of fiber optic and coaxial cabling to get the job done when the wireless speeds they’re touting are similar to the speeds of a direct fiber line.

Onto the claims that one might need this kind of network to support the amount of smart devices, my ask is why? We talked in class about the minimal power and bandwidth impact these devices have, so under what sublime-to-rediculous-esque situation would require something so incredibly powerful? The limit you’re more likely to run into is the maximum number of connected devices within the home which is often on the routing equipment as opposed to your cable plan. Overcrowding may occur after many devices have connected, but that can take hundreds of devices. Very interesting article and development that I’ll keep my eye on but I don’t hold out a lot of hope that it will be delivered as promised.

2. Having over 70 smart devices seems mind-boggling to me, but I can definitely see it being a thing in the near future considering the technological advancements in the past few years. This will definitely change how people view a normal lifestyle in the future with all the amenities at your own home without having to leave. The 10-gigabit network is also extremely powerful, but if you are having over 70 smartphones and multiple devices streaming at the same time. This will allow manufacturers and companies to potentially not worry about the internet speeds of its consumers and provide many more updates and software changes. This could also increase privacy if there are more security updates, but the consumer may also sacrifice some privacy with every movement being tracked. I feel that smart homes are definitely crazy at the moment, but are a foreseeable future norm that could be established in society given time.

3. Will there be a time where wifi becomes a right? With the growing amount of people working remotely, not having wifi could be a detriment to people looking for jobs. In the future I could see people being out of work because they can not afford wifi and the government might have to make sure everyone has access to the internet.

4. This is really cool and scary at the same time. It reminds me of the old Disney Channel original “Smart House” where the house is basically alive through A.I. The house then proceeds to hold the family hostage! Given that we are not in a Disney Channel movie, I think this version of a smart house would work out a lot better. This smart home would be the next step in the internet of things. In class, we talked about how the IoT would look in a few years. We wrote about what new gadgets will be added and how that will affect our lives. I didn’t think that a smart home would be feasible for years. But it is here and it is here at the write time. With faster internet, people who have stay at home jobs due to covid could definitely be a lot more efficient. It would take out stutter time with sending emails or trying to look something up on slow WiFi. All of the features would also save time. Imagine getting out of bed then by the time you are changed, your coffee is already made! Having 70 smart devices is also crazy. I feel like most people don’t have more then 5 devices or could even name more then 10. But the future is here and with the smart home being able to support all of those devices, I’m sure manufactures are going to start turning every day devices into smart devices.

5. I think the advancements of technology over these past few years will change the way we live life for decades to come. From inventions like The Alexa and Amazon Echo, to this new 10G Smart Home, the way we complete daily tasks is changing right in front of our eyes. This 10G Smart Home is also coming at a perfect time with COVID being upon us and not leaving in the foreseeable future. Working at 10 gigabits per second, multiple people will be able to connect their personal devices and work virtually with no delays or wifi malfunctions. Also, not only are more and more people working from home, but contact-less activities are becoming more and more essential. By being able to control every day tasks with your voice, it eliminates a lot of touching and spread of germs.

Source: https://mediacomcable.com/10gsmarthome/

6. This is honestly amazing to see technology shifting at the pace it is. The first Amazon Alexa came out just 6 years ago, in 2014, and now Mediacom is generating a house filled with technological devices, that’s crazy. I agree with you in the sense that I’d love to live in a smart house taking into consideration the modernness of it and the transformation of tasks requiring minimum to maximum effort becoming essentially effortless entirely. However, I think I’d be influenced to become more lazy and obliviously privileged, and I’d forget the importance of not having these functions made easy. While it would be nice, I think honestly I’d pass if the opportunity were to be made real. I love to socialize and do things on my own, so for these freedoms being made less favorable, I’d definitely pass.

7. I think a device this powerful in your household could change the way we do everything for a long time. For example, I think that the whole COVID thing is pushing us to become more virtual permanently. Who knows how long the virus will last? However, work still needs to get done, and the safest way to get it done is through online. Employees with limited access to WiFi at home have a higher chance of being laid off during these times, and that is not good for them or their families. With all of the power this device offers, it could change the industry. However, if we look at the bigger picture this device is incredible companies could use this to fuel office buildings, and l think it will help everyone work better. Even if companies have people come into the office, they could all work from their offices and have everyone conference in, but with this device it will seem like a real meeting. Overall, I think that this is amazing and the possibilities are endless with this device as well.