T-Mobile merging with Sprint

4 big phone companies turns to 3 after we see the merge of T-Mobile and Sprint. Im making this post because I am interested in hearing if everyone thinks this will make the new company more successful or if it will fall off, making AT&T and Verizon even more stronger than before. Some of the promises that the new T-Mobile says will come include massive capacity, faster internet, and more 5g users.

T-Mobile promises that over the next 6 years their capacity will increase by 14x, that in just a few short years their fast network will increase by 8x and then by 15x in 6 years, and that in the next 6 years their 5G will be provided to 99% of Americans. These are some really bold statements and I would love to see if they can manage to complete all of these within the next 6 years. I really think this was a good call on both companies to do this, especially on Sprints end. I think Sprint realized it would be out of the game within the next decade and they did what’s best in order to survive. This is good for both companies though not just one, T-Mobile can now take all of Sprint’s clients which is a great addition. I do not believe T-Mobile would fail without Sprint but In order to compete with the 2 biggest companies the smaller ones needed to work together before they both went out of business. AT&T and Verizon are now facing serious competition after this merge, because of the FCC favoring increase competition in this industry we can definitely expect to see some unexpected moves from AT&T and Verizon. I hope there are some previous Sprint users in this class that can comment on this letting me know some of the positive (or negative) additions that this merge has caused.

source: https://www.t-mobile.com/business/t-mobile-sprint-merger-benefits

9 thoughts on “T-Mobile merging with Sprint

1. The merger of Sprint and T-mobile is huge news. According to the article I attached at the bottom, these two were the third and fourth biggest wireless communication companies. They trailed behind Verizon and AT&T. This deal took about two years to finish up. Sprint does not have the best reputation though. The article mentioned how the biggest challenge in this deal was helping fix Sprint’s generally poor performing network. This poor performing network led to many customers switching from Sprint in the past few years.
    As someone who has come from a family who has always used Verizon, this is interesting to me. Though it does not affect me in any way since I do not use either of those companies, in the future switching may be an option. If the merger can turn these two third and fourth ranked wireless communications companies into a bigger option than Verizon or AT&T, it may make my family switch companies.
    Putting all the resources from Sprint and AT&T may be able to create serious competition for Verizon and AT&T. I feel like that is something that will take years to happen because current Verizon and AT&T users most likely won’t want to a switch until it has been proven that Sprint/T-Mobil offer better services at better prices. As talked about in the original post, the new duo is making statements such as their capacity will increase by 14x in the next 6 years but that is something only time will prove.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2020/06/23/t-mobile-us-the-sprint-merger-so-far/?sh=53796713271b

2. I think this move was necessary for T-Mobile and Sprint to compete with AT&T and Verizon. Merging the two carriers gives them more coverage across the country and helps prepare them for the further development of 5G in the United States. I think the upcoming era of 5G will be very competitive, which means consumers may see very good deals and offers from their carrier’s. Hopefully the quality of service and connection improves over the next few years as prices become more competitive. I am curious to see who will come out on top as companies are racing to provide the best 5G service.

3. As early as the Obama era, T-Mobile and Sprint talked about a merger before but ended in failure. This time, T-Mobile and Sprint were able to successfully merge again. The reason is that China is competing with the United States for 5G. The CEO of T-Mobile declared that the United States has fallen behind China in the development of 5G, and this merger will benefit The United States competes with China in the 5G field. It can be said that T-Mobile and Sprint happened to hit the shortcomings and anxiety of U.S. telecommunications infrastructure, and this merger was thus passed dramatically.

In the 5G era, if they go it alone, they will not have enough strength to compete with the first and second-largest carriers in the United States. Going along with the current pattern will lead to a monopoly pattern between At&t and Verizon. I think the merger of these two companies can make the US telecommunications market more balanced

4. Mergers between these types of companies are seeming somewhat more common as of late. I’m going to go ahead and guess that this is due to the coverage issues many of these companies have. As for myself, I live in three different places throughout the year if I am including school, and my carrier coverage changes juristically from place to place sometimes. I believe that the infrastructure for good coverage can be costly, and hard to get permits for, so by merging companies it offers them an alternative route for taking in the coverage of the merged company.

While better and more available coverage does sound nice, it also comes with a caveat in my mind. With a lot of ISPs, it seems that many of them have local monopolies as for who you can use for actual connection. For me, Spectrum was always the only good connection anywhere near me, so even with their poor service and high prices, we were forced to pay them for connection. I fear that the same may happen with phone services providers. But I guess we will see.

5. I thought that this was an interesting merge when I heard that T-Mobile and Sprint were set to combine together as one company. I assumed T-Mobile made the move to take over Sprint because Sprint was not as popular as T-Mobile and has less coverage. I think this was a valuable and necessary business move and a way that T-Mobile will be able to compete with the more popular companies like Verizon. I’d be curious to see their business ploys in the coming future and if their offers are more attractive than Verizon, my current phone company. I’d love to see this Sprint/T-Mobile merge become a fast runner up to the number one phone company which I’m assuming is Verizon.

6. After hearing about T-Mobile and Sprint merging together I immediately wonder what this will mean for AT&T and Verizon. With 5G among us within the next year, will T-Mobile and Sprints connection be stronger after they come together? I also wonder will the price for T-Mobile and Sprint be higher that AT&T and Verizon after merging?

Back a couple years ago, people from AT&T and Verizon switched to T-Mobile due to cheaper prices. T-Mobile marketed cheaper prices and did a lot of promotions to get customers to switch. But after the two companies finish merging prices are expected to rise for T-Mobile and Sprint users. With one less competitor for AT&T and Verizon, it could be predicted that they do not raise the prices of their services.

I am also curious if Sprint and T-Mobile will have better service across the United States after merging. Brian Chen wrote in his New York Times article, “T-Mobile and Sprint Are Merging. What Does That Mean for You?”, “Supporters of the merger argue that the quality of wireless service will improve for T-Mobile and Sprint customers because they will gain access to a broader network when both are knitted together.” I wonder if this will influence more people to switch to T-Mobile if they can generate a broader network, while keeping their prices low.

7. Personally, I use T-Mobile as my cell carrier. I definitely think this is a great move for them, because as mentioned in the post, they will gather even more customers due to all of Sprints customers now being on T-Mobile. So this will help T-Mobile become even bigger and be able to bon the same level, if not even greater, than Verizon and AT&T. What T-Mobile is doing with 5G is awesome as well, since this will attract new customers and keep their existing customers loyal. I think as long as they continue to offer similar deals and benefits as Verizon and AT&T, then they will continue to be around for a long time and will not be run out by either of them.

Additionally, by merging with Sprint, there is further room to grow and excel, since the two companies will be able to collaborate together and make some amazing things happen. Furthermore, T-Mobile has the largest 5G network, which could be a reason for customers to switch over from Verizon or AT&T.

Overall, I think that T-Mobile will only get stronger from this switch and there could be a possibility that they overtake Verizon or AT&T as the most popular or biggest cell provider, due to them having an influx of more customers and even greater deals.

Source: https://www.t-mobile.com/business/t-mobile-sprint-merger-benefits

8. This is one of the biggest news in last two years. There was four big wireless communications companies, AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, and Sprint. Now, there are only threes after merging. We may not see the effect in a short term, but I still want to see some changing for other two companies, AT&T and Verizon.

T-Mobile has a amazing financial report with 40 percent gain before merging. Compare to AT&T, 20 percent loser, and Verizon, 7 percent loss. T- Mobile has a good performance. And know, they merge Sprint. Although there might be some risk, investors stil believe T – Mobile will keep this good financial performance in the future (Conrad, 2020).

As a AT&T customer, I also hope AT&T can have some plans to fight with the T – Mobile. During the competition, customers can have a chance to get more deal or enjoy a better product. For me, I’m looking forward to use 5G in next year. 5G is an important war in next years. With the competition, we may use 5G easier.

Link: https://www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2020/06/23/t-mobile-us-the-sprint-merger-so-far/?sh=710059b5271b