My PAX East 2017 Experience

PAX East 2017 is the third PAX I have been to. If you have never been to PAX or a large gaming convention, you are missing out. This PAX was no exception, the show floor had tons of new AAA and indie games to play. There was also a lot of great panels from developers and community members. My favorite game that I got to play was Steam World Heist 2 by Image & Form Games. I am a big fan of the Steam World franchise so it was a pleasure to be able to play Steam World Heist 2 early. It was even better that I got to talk to one of the developers about it and learn a bit more about the game that way. To top it off it was played on a Nintendo Switch, so I got some hands on experience with that too.

My favorite panel that I attended was the Final Fantasy 15 X Nier: Automata. I was very excited to attend this panel because it had members from the Tokyo development teams for both games. The director of Nier: Automata, Yoko Taro was even there in person! It was awesome to hear his thoughts on the game and it made me even more excited to play it. The Final Fantasy 15 portion was a bit boring, but that quickly changed when they showed the world premier for the new FF15 character DLC Episode Gladiolus. Regrettably I haven’t gotten around to playing my copy of FF15, but after all the new stuff I got to see, I’m going to start it right away. This PAX was a lot of fun and I am so glad I was able to go once again.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to My PAX East 2017 Experience

1. vqm5108 says:

I have not had the opportunity to attend a major gaming convention but if I were to attend one it would probably be E3. I would love the opportunity to go there and actually experience the revealings of the latest and greatest products that Sony has to offer. It seems like a really entertaining event and it would be awesome to be able to chat with people from Sony about their games while you are there. Being able to test games out like you mentioned in your post would be a really cool thing to do as well.

2. zzt5046 says:

I have never went to a gaming convention, like many others in the comment section. But really, I don’t really know if I would want to. I like all of the content they have to offer, but I would rather watch said content through well known Twitch streamers and YouTubers. I just really don’t like crowds and I’ll do anything I can to avoid those kinds of things.

3. dok5327 says:

I also haven’t had the chance to attend a gaming convention, but I would love to go to E3 or PAX east. Either way I love watching streams of these conventions because of all the new things they present for people to see. After learning how to make a game to an extent, I actually look at games from a more technical point of view and I love to see the hard work put in by each company and what they bring to the table. It also allows me to appreciate more of the hard work these companies put in through the years that they develop their games.

4. Joseph O'neill says:

Like everyone else in these comments, I have also not been to any gaming conventions and am quite jealous. I’m not really a hardcore gamer and usually I fall more so into the category of person that only follows their favorite series’ and does not really look into up and coming games unless someone tells me to check them out or I see a cool preview or some gameplay on Reddit or something. However, video games have been a part of my life since my early elementary school days and they have always been a favorite pass-time of mine.
    That being said, I would definitely enjoy the chance to go to a gaming convention to discover some new games and see what the gaming community is really about. I am sure events like this have an amazing atmosphere and are a great place to find out about new and exciting content coming in the near future. I’ve just started getting into indie games more, and I feel like conventions like this are really the best place to find out about interesting titles.

5. Jacob Fodor says:

It’s like a guilty pleasure of mine to follow gaming conventions as closely as I can without actually attending, unfortunately. I love drooling at all the prospective new titles people are working hard to show off. Whether in my own career I end up there showing something or I’m even just lucky enough to go has yet to be seen.

That said I also really hate crowds and PAX for sure seems like one of those places thats just full to the brim with people. That’s probably still a small price to pay for being so immersed in games and nerd culture though!

6. njw5184 says:

I’ve never been to any sort of convention, but it’s something that I have been wanting to do for quite some time, now. Every time one of these events happens, I see all about it on Facebook and Reddit and it looks like a great experience. I think it would be awesome to talk with an indie developer of a game that I’ve been following for a while and ask about their development process and things like that.

7. sif5226 says:

I haven’t had the pleasure of going to a gaming convention, but would like to in the future. Ever year I watch all the major developer conferences at E3 through livestream. It is great watching them, but I’m sure actually being there within the hype would make it much more fun. As a programmer, I believe it would be amazing to talk to a developer about their game and be able to ask technical questions on the game.