UP 2!

UP 2 where? Nooo, UP 2, the movie! Nearly everyone who watched UP, adored it so why not make an other?? UP is a heartwarming adventure-filled animated comedy produced by Pixar. My last blog was also about a Pixar movie, Inside Out 2. You can find it here!

SPOILERS AHEAD

Movie Images and Characters From Disney's Up (2009)
Russell (left) and Carl (right) walking their house to the water fall!

As many of us saw UP in 2009, I will give a refresher. A young boycott (Russell) is pursuing his “helping the elderly badge” to become an eagle scout. He finds a man (Carl), who’s wife just passed, and asks him if he needs help. Carl is grumpy, but Russell persists. Carl is forced to leave his home and has the imaginative idea to tie balloons to his house to float to South America. He wants to find the place he and his wife always dreamed of going she was still alive. When he decides to leave, Russell gets stranded on his porch because he was knocking on his door again to see if he needed help. On the journey in the floating house, Carl and Russell begin to learn more about each other, but Carl remains Grumpy. Once they arrived relatively close to their desired destination of a water fall, they were forced to walk the semi-floating house to the correct spot (keep in mind that they are doing this for a good portion of the movie). Along their journey the stumble across a dog who has a special collar that allows him to speak English. They befriend the lost dog and even find another pet along the way. They find a strange bird and Russell names him Kevin. The old man still maintains his grumpy attitude, but he is beginning to tolerate Russell more as he is stuck with him. As they get closer to the water fall, they find another human (Muntz)! They find out that his life goal has been using his dogs to find the mysterious bird. Russell says that Kevin sounds like the bird he is looking for, and Muntz turns hostile thinking they are here to ruin his fame. Carl is able to escape and return to his house, but Russell has been captured. Eventually the old man feels bad and decides he should save Russell. He even sacrificed his home, which he traveled across the world in, to save Russell. All ends peacefully with the bird in Carl’s care. Carl even gets the chance to present Russell with his merit badge which meant a lot to Russell!

Kevin (the bird) from Pixars Up - YouTube
Russell and Carl discovering the infamous Kevin!

What would UP 2 be about? The rest of Russell’s journey to becoming an eagle scout can be followed with him still having to earn the rest of his badges. The sequel could lead off with the old man dying, although sad, and follow Russell on a spiritual journey in his memory. Unfortunately, a sequel may not live up 🙂 to the emotions of UP, but there are various variations left undiscovered. I am sure Pixar has a better creative team than me alone, so the sequel wouldn’t disappoint!

Is it a money issue? Absolutely not! The budget for the movie was about $175 million, and made half of that back on the opening weekend alone! For the total earned, the movie made Pixar $735 million. Although not the highest profit blogged about thus far, that is still a plethora of money.

What did the reviews say?:

“Brilliant, another Pixar homerun”

‘The best Pixar film to date”

“UP ‘upped’ the bar once again” (My personal favorite | Can’t get enough of the puns)

Pixar needs to make a sequel. I am sure they have other movies in the works, but UP needs to move up in their priorities. They need to take our hearts on another roller coaster ride full of adventure. Maybe even take us “UP, UP, and Away”. Regardless of the UP puns, the people want an UP 2!

6 thoughts on “UP 2!

1. Great post. Up was definitely a good watch. With the profit made and the reviews, it seems like a movie ripe for a sequel. Also, will you ever be talking about movies that need prequels on this blog?

2. Yay, another Pixar movie! These are by far my favorites since I have watched them and can relate. Up was definitely a great choice as the storyline can easily continue. I love your interpretations of the sequels too, someone should hire you lol.

3. Wow I haven’t watched Up in such a long time, but you made me relive such a fantastic movie in just a few short words! This was by far one of my top 10 Pixar films growing up and I can’t believe I never thought that it was weird there was no Up 2. I fully agree that there should be at least an attempt made to create a sequel, however I don’t think it should be officially released unless Pixar is 100% adamant about it matching or even surpassing the bar that Up had set for itself. As I know countless movie franchises that have done sequel after sequel with only a continual downgrade in quality. I would hate for that to be the case with Up 2, but otherwise Pixar should still at least try. Great Post!

4. I remember when I watched Up when I was younger and the beginning with Carl’s wife was very sad but it was a great movie overall so I know Up 2 will most likely do good and make a lot of money. Even though the sequel will probably be intended for the little kids of today to watch, there is going to be a lot of people who saw Up as children racing to watch the sequel.

5. I did not like the movie when it first came out because as a child, I found it way too sad that his wife past away. Now that I am older, I do have a new appreciation for the film, and now desperately want a sequel! I like the idea you came up with for the plot line of the second movie, I think that would be really interesting to follow and watch on-screen!

6. I love this movie so much! I can’t say it was one of my favorites as a kid, it was way too sad, but now that I’m older, I definitely appreciate it more. I’m intrigued by the idea of a sequel though, I just can’t imagine what it would be about. I like the idea of following Russel, and I definitely wonder what his life was like after the movie, I’m just not sure if Disney/Pixar can make another movie as good as the first! Although, they do seem to be doing a lot of sequels and continuations recently, so maybe they’ve got some ideas already.