The Last Witch Hunter 2!

Mutual Misunderstanding: The Last Witch Hunter
The Last Witch Hunter movie poster.

The Last Witch Hunter (2015) is one of the best action fantasy movies out there! Many people including myself would be very excited for a sequel! There are many directions the writers can go, and there is a lot of potential. For those of you who don’t plan on watching (even though I highly recommend it) or forget what happened, here is a summary:

***** CAUTION: SPOILERS AHEAD *****

The movie starts in a village where Kaulder’s (played by Vin Diesel) family dies from the plague and he sets off to kill the witch queen who caused it. Luckily, he is able to survive, but the queen cursed him with eternal life before he died. With this curse he sets out to hunt witches and protect humanity from them. After saving a witch from herself, Kaulder’s assistant, Dolan (played by the infamous Michael Caine), is put under a powerful spell that can only be broken by killing the witch who put him under it. Kaulder begins to follow the clues and gets advice to remember his past. With this he requests a good witches help to put him under a dream state where he can go to the memory of his initial battle with the witch queen. While in this dream state, he is attacked and does not get a chance to finish it. He requests that the witch makes another, but she lacks the rare supplies. In the meantime the witch queen is resurrected by the same witch that attacked Kaulder while he was dreaming. After this a series of battles and tricky occurs and Kaulder loses his immortality to the witch queen. He is still able to go into the dream state and finds out that their hearts are connected, so if the heart is destroyed, they both die. He is willing to sacrifice himself once the get the heart, but doesn’t because the good witch persuades him that there are greater evils out there.

John's Horror Corner: The Last Witch Hunter (2015), the story of an immortal Vin Diesel hacking his way through monsters and spells with bad one-liners and a flaming sword. | Movies, Films
Kaulder fighting the witch queen before he was cursed with immortality.

Obviously the movie itself is much better than what could be written in a brief summary. There are many more intricate and small elements which I think really sets an elite movie apart from just a good movie.

What would the sequel be about? Well despite the tittle, I think Kaulder could have a child and they could be the next witch hunter. This would make a good training movie where the child is challenged too. Another path the writers could follow, is moving the setting to a time period between his initial battle with the queen and the time the movie is set.

The reason the sequel has not been made is because of the limited profit of the original. The budget for the movie was approximately $90 million, and it made almost $150 million. This profit is nowhere near as much money as some of the other sequels I have written about.

3 thoughts on “The Last Witch Hunter 2!

1. I have never seen this movie, but after reading your description I want to watch it. I’ve always enjoyed fantasy/action-type movies so this sounds like I would enjoy it. I think that this movie is also well set-up for a sequel. If Kaulder had a child, they could probably have the movie follow a similar plot. But, instead, it could be Kaulder’s son who is trying to learn more about his past and accidentally stumbles on one of the witches who his dad fought with. But either way, I think it would be a good sequel!.

2. While I haven’t seen this movie, your description of this movie makes it seems like this would be a good fit for me. I liked your analysis when you said “There are many more intricate and small elements which I think really sets an elite movie apart from just a good movie.” These are elements that I always try and notice in a movie and often don’t come from the first time watching it. I love watching movies and discovering new features of it on the 3rd, 4th, or 5th watch.

3. To be honest I have never heard of this movie before and I also had no idea that they were making a sequel. I have always enjoyed this type of fantasy-adventure movie and it seems like a great fit for me. I mean Vin diesel is in it so the cast alone is goated. This was a great read and I am looking forward for your next post. Great Post!