Edge of Today?!

Edge of Today?! A possible prequel to the action-adventure sci-fi film Edge of Tomorrow (2014)? Edge of Tomorrow is not the best name for what happens in the film, but regardless, the film concept is amazing! A prequel or origin story would make the alternate world even more exciting than it is! For those of you who haven’t watched it yet (highly recommend if you’re into action movies), I will give a brief summary.

***** CAUTION: SPOILERS AHEAD *****

Edge of Tomorrow - Wikipedia
Edge of Tomorrow movie poster with Cage and Rita in their exoskeletons!

The movie begins by throwing you into an unknown variation of reality where aliens, named Mimics, are attempting to invade and take over. To beat the so called Mimics, the world’s joint forces created an exoskeleton that enhances a humans strength. With this new technology they were able to win their first battle with the Mimics. A media relations military officer, William Cage played by Tom Cruise, gets into trouble and is sent out to the front lines for an almost certain death. The offensive is a colossal failure and many die within seconds. Cage miraculously is able to defeat one of the Mimics and gets coated in its blood. He then dies to another Mimic, but suddenly wakes up where he was a day prior. Over his next few lives, he attempts to figure out what is happening to him and finally decides to go and talk to the hero of the only battle that has been one. Once he talks to her, Rita Vrataski played by Emily Blunt, she tells him that the same thing happened to her and that is why they won. In his next life, he seeks her out before the battle and she begins to train him over his next lives. Once he is trained enough, he sets out to the battle and makes it further with each life. His goal is to reach the Omega Mimic who controls the regular Mimics and destroy it. He is able to find out where he is with the help of Rita and ends up defeating it. He then dies due to wounds and wakes up two days prior in an alternate reality where he has his original military tittle and the Mimics are weak and helpless.

Edge of Tomorrow - Cinemablography
The Omega Mimic launching itself towards Cage!

I suggest a prequel be made because I cannot think of a plot for a sequel. In a prequel, the initial battle where the humans would could be the main plot line. Writers could also go in the direction of an origin story of the Mimics and what they have gone through. Maybe this plot line could Mimic Ender’s Game which I discussed in a previous post. All in all, there are a lot of directions for the prequel to go in that will keep us guessing.

The movie did not make outrageous amounts of money, but it definitely did well enough for another movie, so that is not stopping anything. The movie’s budget was estimated to be around $178 million and it grossed about $370 million worldwide. With this profit there is no reason that there shouldn’t be a sequel.

I definitely need to see another movie in this alternate world, and I am sure I am not the only one!

3 thoughts on “Edge of Today?!

1. I absolutely loved Edge of Tomorrow and it is one of my favorite Tom Cruise movies. It is definitely lesser-known and it is not surprising it didn’t gross a ton of money, even though it was a great movie. I agree that a prequel could be done to show how the war against the aliens came to be. This would be really interesting to see in the future!

2. I haven’t seen Edge of Tomorrow, but based on your description it sounds really exciting and interesting! I always like Tom Cruise movies so I will be sure to watch this soon. Although I haven’t even seen the first movie, I do think that a prequel could be cool to show the initial war.

3. Edge of Tomorrow is SUCH a good movie. I actually watched it kinda recently and I was looking into sequels/prequels and apparently, they want to do one but it’s almost impossible to find a time when both Emily Blunt and Tom Cruise are available. But I agree, I think it would be difficult to do a sequel because it would have to be the exact same movie. But what I always found so intriguing was that the movie felt like it was like a smack in the middle of a three-part YA novel (Hunger games, divergent, etc.) because it doesn’t give you any background. But I think if they went with a prequel that would be a cool move to tell, kind of like the newer Planet of the Apes movies.