The Paris Agreement

Signed in 2016, the Paris Agreement was an agreement within the United Nations to address climate change.  Its aim was to collectively control the increasing global temperature and overall create a strong and productive response to the threat of climate change.  In addition, the Paris Agreement claimed to provide protection to developing nations that could potentially suffer from the economic costs of lowering emissions. With the intention to meet every five years, it committed its signatories to remain reliable for the goals set.  The overall intention is to keep climate change below 2 degrees celsius but allow nations to individually decide what efforts were needed in their own country to achieve the international objective, which allowed flexibility. With ambitious plans on a treacherous battle against greenhouse gases, is it likely that the Paris Agreement will prove successful and achieve victory?

Despite the efforts to create a solution, on June 1st, 2017, President Donald Trump pulled the United States out of agreement. Yet it wasn’t a surprise, given he had mentions of his unapproval during his presidential campaign, it was still a disappointment to other nations.  Trump’s reasons for backing out of the agreement was in the interest of the American economy and the working American class, with claims that the terms are unfair “to the United States, its businesses, its workers, its people, its taxpayers” (Trump) and that it is an economic burden to the country. 

Trump’s claims were supported by many other Republicans and although many agree that there are many economic downfalls, these claims also went against previous ideologies from the United States under President Barack Obama’s term in office, as he was in office at the time of the signing of the Paris Agreement. 

With the United States dropping out of the agreement, it seems highly likely that other countries that think that they could potentially suffer from the agreement will drop out.  Again, the United States is one of the largest contributors to climate change and their involvement in this agreement was very important.  

One thing to consider though is how Trump’s time in office is only temporary and that the United States is not yet formally out of the Paris Agreement yet.  Despite Bernie Sanders’ ended campaign, both him and Vice President, Joe Biden, stated their intentions to rejoin the agreement if elected in office. It is unsure where the campaign is going and nothing is for sure but it is important to consider the environmental impact that this campaign could have worldwide when voting.  This is more than the United States that this is effecting. The American withdrawal can take away so many of the efforts made and makes the rest of the world have a more difficult time.

House of Cards (Seasons 1-3)

I started watching House of Cards at the end of January.  I usually, very easily watch shows very quickly and I put aside everything else to watch.  I’ve learned this was a really bad habit so this school year I have tried my best to avoid starting any new shows.  However, my boyfriend goes to school in California so we weren’t seeing each other and in an effort to still do things together we would call each other and decided on a show or movie to watch and then we would click play at the same time and text each other our thoughts during it and then call after to discuss.  We actually started about 18 months ago when we started watching a movie but I had to go home, so we called each other to finish it individually but together. The first show in college that we did this with was You (which I already made a blog post on) and then we started House of Cards

I was really excited to start because I had heard such good things but I also never heard anything about the plot. I had no idea what it was about. The first episode was fine, we were not convinced that it would be the next show that we would watch but we gave it another shot and the story started really coming together.  There is a lot of ground to cover without me spoiling anything which I realized is a little difficult now that I’m writing it. 

Basically the show is about congressman, Frank Underwood, and his wife, Claire Underwood, and their journey to gain more power through manipulation and betrayal.  The show is considered to be a political thriller. It was compared somewhat to You but on a bigger scale and more important stakes as characters are leaders of the United States. 

I would recommend watching, to not look it up at all online. The internet is dangerous for spoilers.  One spolier is inevitable to come across because of the sexual assault scandal. Netflix is trying their best to cover it up by promoting the latest season of the show when viewing what to watch. Even the summary is centered around the sixth season.  I have 2 seasons to get there but still know what happens. It is what it is.  

Overall, I definitely still recommend it! I know I gave little information on the show itself but I really don’t want to spoil it for anyone.  I would so far rate the show an 8/10.  If you have watched the show you should leave a comment.  My favorite characters are Claire Underwood, Jackie Sharp and Viktor Petrov. 

Is COVID-19 Making a Difference in the Environment?

In the last two weeks I noticed that a significant number of blog posts related to the virus and how that affects whatever civic issues topic or passion topic that fits that person and I didn’t think much of it because it just makes sense. Right now that is the most relevant news so why wouldn’t we be talking about it.  However, I didn’t really feel that my civic issues topic, which is discussing efforts to fix our environment, really fit into it until I saw a tweet reposted on Instagram. Below I will insert the photo but the pictures and caption show that despite the horrible thing that is happening to our population right now, some good is coming from it.  It shows clear water in Venice, Italy, which the post claims to not have happened in a very long time, and it shows photos of swans swimming in the water, even though it also claims that they had been kicked out previously by humans. My first reaction to seeing this was wow! This is incredible. Again, horrible circumstances, but I was thinking about how a relatively short period of time can bring back a damaged ecosystem.  After seeing this post, I saw it everywhere but mostly over Instagram and TikTok.  

( I’m sorry that image quality is low 🙁  )

So… My original idea for this blog post was to find more information on the water in Venice and how it’s improved but also to look into other environmental impacts of the Coronavirus… With very little digging, I found that this post was a lie.  Numerous articles were confirming that the area of Venice in which those photos were being taken, was an area that has a large population of swans and that they never left. I did originally find it suspicious that SO quickly, there were positive impacts on the water. It doesn’t take a long time to make a mess but it is to clean it up. It was too good to be true.  

The original post has since been deleted but there are so many screenshots and other posts and videos made using the original tweet as a source so the misinformation continues to go around.  While there is nothing really significant that I can do I was thinking about the ways I can prevent this. Really just not trusting information that seems fake because it might just be. I am not saying to reject it completely, just to trust your gut and to research before it tries to convince you of anything.  While as optimistic as we try to be, I think sometimes it can blind us from what’s really happening. In the past few years, climate change has been more of a discussion and many companies are listening to that and using that to promote products with labeling that seems natural and eco friendly when it is not. While this definitely isn’t the worst thing that is happening right now, it is sending out a false image of how we can fix this Earth. 

https://tbsnews.net/international/fake-animal-news-social-media-amidst-coronavirus-fear-59014

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/2020/03/coronavirus-pandemic-fake-animal-viral-social-media-posts/