The Influencer Generation

With the rise of the importance placed on the internet and various social media platforms, there are many people relying on these tools to go about their daily lives. There are millions of people around the world who spend hours a day scrolling online. Most companies are having to stretch their sales with the rise of digital adaptations. Newspapers, shopping, magazines, TV advertisements have been forced to adjust to reach this new audience of consumers.

So, what is an

I N F L U E N C E R?

An influencer is an individual who holds significance online or to audiences of thousands or more. The advertising world has acknowledged the transition from television/paper to the online age. Influencers are mainly found on YouTube and Instagram. These are not just individuals who carry significance in popularity however most importantly with their ability to INFLUENCE. There are different celebrities who are willing to promote a certain product or event for the money. Most of these celebrities are not fully aware of the brands they endorse. The Fyre Festival is an example where influencers such as Kendall Jenner, Hailey Bieber, Bella Hadid, & Kanye West are just some of those who influenced individuals to spend thousands to be scammed. The extravagant festival that was promoted turned out to be a stranded island nightmare of simple tents, mediocre food, and no sign of the influencers that “hyped” the event.

For more information on this, check out : https://www.refinery29.com/en-us/2019/01/221812/fyre-festival-celebrity-instagram-endorsements

On the other hand, there are influencers of certain products. In present day, I find myself looking at YouTube review videos rather than the endless comments on Amazon or other shopping websites. Of course with these videos, I don’t trust everyone to give the most accurate information. I’ll always make sure a YouTuber promoting a product has a background or relation with the product. I feel that I can place trust that they know what they are talking about. An example of a positive influencer is a 7-year old boy named Ryan who made 22-million dollars on toy reviews. Toy companies would send in their toys to Ryan and people would watch him play with these various toys. The views, sponsorships, and built-up fan base of young viewers and parents increased the level of trust that this kid was a guru of toys.

For more information on this, check out: https://www.forbes.com/sites/maddieberg/2018/12/03/how-this-seven-year-old-made-22-million-playing-with-toys-2/#487d3fa64459

With the new age of technology, influencers are just a category of the different methods that companies are taking to reach their audiences. It is important to be aware of this evolution of celebrities that are becoming powerful enough to shift their followers to certain ideas/brands/experiences.