Art Paradigm Shift: From Portraits to Abstract

Throughout art history, there have been many different paradigm shifts. For example, women are depicted as fragile/vulnerable or strong and independent during various periods of time. Another paradigm shift would be the shift between styles of art. As I walked into the Palmer Art Museum, I immediately make a connection between these two photos.

1957

Nude With Flower- 1957

Young Woman Holding a Sheet of Music-1755

I don’t mean to offend anyone, but when I see these two pictures I immediately assume the second painting took more artistic skill than the first one. Therefore, one would think Young Woman Holding a Sheet of Music was created after Nude With Flower because of its higher quality mechanics than the other. In actuality, these finely detailed portraits like this one depicting a woman was slowly replaced by abstract paintings like Nude With Flower. As years went by, there was less of an emphasis on the mechanics of art and more of an emphasis on expression and symbolism in art. These abstract paintings evoke more emotion through its bold and contrasting colors. In a portrait that exactly depicts what is displayed in real life, there can not be contrasting colors. It has little interpretation behind the surface whereas the Nude With Flower allows the viewer to derive the meaning behind it. So the paradigm shift accompanied with these two different styles of art could be how art became more expressive/meaningful as time went on. Interestingly, this shift shows how art became more personal and became closer to the definition of art today.

I went to the Palmer Art Museum alone instead of going with the class, and I feel like I got a whole new experience. Because I had an unlimited amount of time to browse through all the artwork, it felt very relaxing strolling through the different sections of art. It’s the perfect alone time away from people. Since coming to college, I am never alone. I am always in the presence of someone. The museum gave me a peaceful solitary environment for me to reflect and spend some much needed time alone. I think this will be a place I frequent throughout the year.

Comments

1. Christine Suhr says:

Excellent choices to analyze for this post! I’ve never thought about art and skill progressing “backwards” as time moves forward, but you do a nice job explaining why that paradigm shift occurs.

Speak Your Mind