Satisfy Your Spring Fever

The climate is warming, the birds are chirping, and the outdoors are calling.  Spring is finally showing its green colors and sunny skies after a long and bitter winter.   So don’t hold back, embrace your spring fever and get outside in the sun.  It will benefit you in more ways than you may think:

Vitamin D:  Spending time outside and in the sun actually allows you to absorb this valuable vitamin.  This can help protect against future bone problems, diabetes, heart disease, and many other health issues.

Vision:  Believe it or not, spending time outside can decrease your chances of becoming nearsighted.  By exercising your long distance vision, you actually strengthen it.

Exercise:  One of the more recognized benefits from being outside is the exercise that the outdoors often coincides with.  Do whatever: play Frisbee, go for a run, take a walk, or anything to get your heart rate up and expend some energy.

The Mind:  Studies have also proven that exposure to nature can reduce ADHD symptoms and improve one’s ability to focus.  Spending time outdoors can improve critical thinking skills which translates to students’ performances in school.

The Spirit:  We all know that being outside can help clear your mind and ease your stresses, and there is also science to back this up.  Being outdoors can release endorphin which promotes longevity and optimistic perspective.  Stress levels have been proven to fall significantly after just minutes of being exposed to a green environment.

Try to take full advantage of the nice weather that we are expecting over the next couple weeks here at Penn State.  Spend a few hours each day out in the fresh air.  Hike Mount Nittany, throw a football, play cricket, hopscotch, whatever.  Even if you are too swamped with schoolwork to get outside and have fun, try taking your notes or homework outside – the outdoor environment may just provide the mental boost that your studying needs.

6 thoughts on “Satisfy Your Spring Fever

1. I knew about how spending time outdoors will help one absorb Vitamin D and how the outdoors can have a therapeutic effect, but I did not know it would help maintain one’s vision and that it can keep ADHD symptoms at bay. It’s still a little too cold for me to be spending extended periods of time outside, but I can’t wait for it to get warmer!

2. All this is true! I love being outdoors in general. My job last summer was actually outside, I worked at an amusement park! The only reason why I don’t like spring is because this is the one season I get really bad allergies which is such a bummer, but I don’t try and let that get me down too much.

3. This is great! I love being outside, but I never really realized how many awesome benefits it has. I’m so excited that the weather is finally warming up, after this long and cold winter I can’t see why anyone would want to be inside!

4. This is some really great advice. I’ve been stressed out lately over all the work that I have in my classes right now. I’m going to try to study outside because that seems like a really fun idea.

5. I am looking forward to the warm weather! I can’t wait to hike Mount Nittany in one of the upcoming weeks.

6. Who would’ve thought that going outside had so many benefits? Like your recommendation said, I think I am going to head outside today, maybe play some hopscotch with some pals.