The Epidemic of Obesity

Our country’s greatest health epidemic is our levels of obesity. Today, about 35.6%, that’s over one third, of the adult population in the United States is considered obese. In addition about 75% of adults are considered overweight. The definition of obesity when it comes to body mass index (BMI) which takes into account height and weight to come up with a number, is above 30. Not only is being obese make everyday life more difficult but there are many health consequences that come with it as well. Problems like developing type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, some types of cancer, and many others. Overall obese individuals tend to live about 6.5 years shorter than the average person, but this can rise or fall depending on the individual’s level of obesity. It is clear that this is a national health issue. When problems like this occur where people need to be given more incentives to get healthy the government will step in with legislation.

One of the most noticeable actions the government has taken is making fast food restaurants put the calorie amount next to food items. The idea behind this is that it persuades people to buy food that is lower in calories (generally healthier when it comes to fast food) or not purchase anything at all. When people are forced to face what they are eating it can be eye opening and even disgusting leading to different choices in the future. This has lead fast food chains such as McDonald’s to add some healthier items to their menu so people have options.

In my school, they stopped selling junk food at our school store and cafeteria. They still sold products such as baked chips and popcorn but all mainstream junk food like candy, chips, ice cream, and soda was not sold on campus. Products made with bread were made with wheat or whole grains. I do not know how much influence this had because if your family has junk food around the house, you can just eat it when you get home. Although it could have an impact when creating health habits and not craving junk food as much.

Another thing the government does is subsidize healthy foods in programs for poor people. This means that the government will financially support these programs having healthy foods available. People who do not have as much money can become obese or overweight easily because food with poor nutrition is usually cheaper and more available. It is hard to find healthy fresh items sold cheaply or in bulk.

The final way the government has stepped in that is a little different is through the former first lady. Michelle Obama’s campaign for healthier eating and exercising habits were a huge focus of her work over the last eight years. She someone that was exemplary at leading a practical but healthy life and therefore average American families could look to her for inspiration in their own lives.

The easiest way to make a change is through governmental policy. When something is passed through Congress and everyone has to enact it, that is the one true way to make lasting change.

http://www.latimes.com/science/la-sci-sn-extreme-obesity-cuts-lifespan-20140708-story.html

http://www.foodpolitics.com/2014/04/government-policies-to-reduce-obesity-suggestions-for-action/

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/13/business/mcdonalds-to-start-posting-calorie-counts.html

One thought on “The Epidemic of Obesity”

1. In high school I fondly remember the movie supersize me. This movie was shown to us in health class as a part of the nutrients section. In fact, after watching this movie was the major case of me deciding to not eat any processed meats for four years. This lifestyle change lead to me becoming an over all healthier person. Unfortunately, After the four years I turned back to eating meats. Though I still tended to shy away from processed meats I could see a change in my health. With this being said I can one-hundred percent see how people who cannot afford to be healthy struggle. I know this may sound silly. How can someone not afford to be healthy? This is very possible. Being healthy is a in fact a very expensive lifestyle. I know this because when I lived a non-processed meat lifestyle and I had to buy things that were organic or making things from scratch it was often times more expensive then the pre-prepared food. With this I would say a governmental effort that can be made is to make more healthy food more affordable.