Wonder Woman (Again)

I originally planned to only write two posts on Wonder Woman, but I just couldn’t fit everything that I wanted to talk about into my previous posts. So, here’s more about the revolutionary movie.

Warning: Spoilers Ahead!

Image result for wonder woman no mans land scene

No Man’s Land

One of the most memorable and powerful scenes in Wonder Woman was the battle in “No Man’s Land.” It takes place at a pivotal moment for Diana’s character. After a woman tells her that a nearby village has been taken over by enemy troops, Diana is determined to help, but in order to do so, she must cross “No Man’s Land,” the strip of land between the two opposing enemy lines. Steve Trevor warns her, “no man can cross it. This is not something you can cross. This is not possible.” Against the advice of all the men she is fighting alongside, Diana steps into “No Man’s Land.” Showing strength and perseverance, she makes it to the other side.

As she deflects bullets on her way through “No Man’s Land,” Wonder Woman is taking fire for the defenseless and helpless people she feels a duty to protect. She stands strong in her conviction to help others and serves as an inspiration for her friends to join her in the push against enemy lines. But, the primary purpose of this scene wasn’t to create an exciting battle; Patty JenkinsWonder Woman’s director, explained her thought process when creating the scene and the opposition she faced:

Nobody understood what I was trying to do there. It was a scene that everybody was like, ‘Ah, OK, but we’re doing this cool thing in the town, why are you worried about that?’ I think to some of the people I was working with it was confusing. ‘Who’s she fighting?’ [But] it’s not about that, it’s about her.

The location’s name is incredibly significant as well. No man might have been able to cross it, but a strong, determined woman did.

Wonder Women Valerie Urso, from left, Maria Crawford and Samantha Fekete dress like their favorite heroine at the premiere of the movie at the Pantages Theatre in Hollywood.
“Wonder Women Valerie Urso, from left, Maria Crawford and Samantha Fekete dress like their favorite heroine at the premiere of the movie at the Pantages Theatre in Hollywood.” (Genaro Molina, Los Angeles Times)

Impact

I mentioned many of the ways that Wonder Woman broke records and became incredibly successful in my first post, but I never explained the impact it had on me. Since I first saw The Avengers in 2012, I have been a die hard Marvel fan. I try not to hate on DC Comics, since I know the rivalry between fans of the two competing companies can be vicious, but I’ve never connected with any DC characters. While I have hundreds of issues of Marvel comics, I only have a single issue created by DC, which I got for free and even though I went to see Marvel movies on their opening weekend, I had never seen a DC movie in theaters until Wonder Woman. So, saying that Wonder Woman is one of my favorite movies feels a little bit like a betrayal, but I can’t help it. On my way out of the theater, I couldn’t stop smiling. This is going to sound super cheesy but bear with me; after watching Wonder Woman, I felt powerful. I had never seen a female superhero that had made me feel that way before. I can’t even really explain how I felt. But, looking back, I wish I could feel that way again.