Being Middle Eastern After 9/11 in the U.S.

23 year old Adama Bah recounts her experience with her and her family after 9/11. “I was 13 when 9/11 happened. My teacher announced that a Muslim might have done it, and that there might be hatred against Muslims. I felt 9/11 when I came back to New York for Ramadan break. Altogether, there were six classmates who had to get on a plane to come back. At that time, we covered our faces. I couldn’t believe the looks. Everybody was scared, pointing. We got extra screenings, our bags were checked, we got pulled to the side. I’ve never had racism directed toward me before.”

Unfortunately, these acts of fear and bias are not a single story, and most definitely did not only happen to one person during this critical time in the United States. For Raed Jarrar, acts of prejudice were committed against him for merely wearing a shirt with the words, “We Will Not Be Silent” translated in both English and Arabic. This was in order to raise awareness for the wars and murders of innocent people in Palestine or Iraq. “Inspector H [at JFK Airport, in TSA] asked me, “What does it say?” I said, “It’s the same thing that it says in English. We will not be silent.” He said, “Oh, but we can’t be sure that’s the translation.” I was so confused that I didn’t know how to answer. Then he said, “We want you to take the T-shirt off, or put it on inside out.” I said, “It’s my constitutional right to wear this T-shirt. If you have any regulations against Arabic T-shirts, show them to me and I will take it off or cover it.” I was very polite, but it was becoming a scene and people were looking at us.” As you can see, just because of another country’s and culture’s language was present on a T-Shirt, officers within the airport requested that this man take his shirt off because they found it threatening.

Not only is prejudice an all too common reality for middle eastern people in the United States, but even practicing their religion is a time of fear and nervousness. Observant American Muslims—who must pray five times daily—are left with a problem within the United States. How do they maintain their religious faith without attracting attention in an environment of heightened fear? Some ask why they should be expected to change their behavior in a country that promises religious freedom. As the United States was once known as “the melting pot” of different religions, cultures, languages, and races, it is now becoming segregated out of fear, and people are unable to truly be able to practice their religion safely in the country.

Some may say that these people must be aware of the fear and caution surrounding Middle Eastern people in light of the terrorist attacks, but it is an unfair generalization based on ignorance and lack of motivation to be educated. Patrick Hogan, a spokesman for the Metropolitan Airports Commission, which owns and operates the Minneapolis-St. Paul airport, says that everyone should have a right to pray, but that in this day and age, “people must be sensitive to how their actions might impact those around them.” But Shahin and the North American Imams Federation say their group has taken every precaution possible. “That’s my question to the people,” Shahin says. “What more do I have to do? I am American, I speak this language, I do everything by the book and I’m still suspicious. I cannot change the color of my skin.”

Amad Shaikh, an American Muslim, shares his recount of 9/11, and explains the difficulty of sharing in grief with the rest of his country, but also feeling the effects of hate and prejudice.

“9/11 caught us all by surprise. American Muslims, ever so comfortable and free in our ways, were caught off-guard. We were grieving with our nation, but also required to share responsibility and answer for the actions of a few who claimed to share our faith. The wider Muslim community’s reaction was thus filled with confusion and inaction. Denial, victimization, silence and anger were all utilized to one degree or another. The only common voice was that of condemnation – but somehow, that escaped most of the public. The rest of the American public also grieved, but without the burden of “guilt by association”. Most Americans, to their credit, were actually quite precise in their initial raw reactions, with the larger focus on victims and the entity of Al-Qaeda, and less on the religion and practitioners of Islam.”

Source 1

Source 2

Source 3

Image result for muslim americans we the people

Being Middle Eastern in the United States

About 10 million middle eastern people live in the United States, making up at least 3% of American citizens. Middle Easterners are one of the fastest growing immigrant groups in America. While the size of the overall immigrant population (legal and illegal) has tripled since 1970. Middle Eastern Americans make up our neighbors, our peers, our teachers, our friends, doctors, and so much more. Interest in coming to America remains very strong in the Middle East even after September 11. In October 2001, the Department of State received approximately 1.5 million applications from the Middle East (not including Pakistan) for the visa lottery, a program which awards 50,000 green cards each year to randomly selected applicants.

Though people from the Middle East have been treated differently in the United States ever since the attacks of September 11th, they still want to come to this country. Middle Eastern immigrants are one of the most educated immigrant groups in America. In 2000, 49 percent had at least a bachelor’s degree, compared to 28 percent of people born in the United States. The issue of Middle Eastern immigration and acceptance is important to the larger population of the United States because there are intelligent, hard working people being denied refuge in the United States because of fear and because of only a fraction of Middle Eastern people.

Currently, The Trump administration made several changes early in 2017 affecting inflows of MENA (Migration from the Middle East and North Africa) immigrants. Through a series of executive orders, the administration barred the entry of nationals from several Muslim-majority countries; lowered the fiscal year (FY) 2017 refugee ceiling to 50,000 from the 110,000 level set by President Obama; and temporarily suspended resettlement of refugees. While these changes have faced ongoing legal challenges, refugee admissions have slowed considerably: In calendar year 2017, about 33,400 refugees were resettled in the United States—just one-third of the total resettled in 2016. The number of Syrian refugee arrivals fell from about 15,500 in 2016 to roughly 3,000 in 2017.

Source 1

Source 2

Source 3

You may think that this problem does not affect you, because maybe you don’t know anyone from the Middle East, or don’t feel like you know enough about the actual issue at hand, but this is an incredibly important issue for all humans, in order to recognize humanity and people who may have a different background than you. Addressing this issue at hand is what helps us as humans better understand others, and create a safer, kinder environment. The first MIddle Eastern immigrants initially encountered a variety of prejudicial attitudes beyond those associated with belonging to any group of newcomers to America working to establish themselves.

Obviously, an everyday citizen may feel as if they have no impact on this issue, and that they will never be able to do enough to make it better, but that is not true. Voting, which is obviously an incredibly civic action, is the best way to make a difference in the lives of these Middle Eastern people as well as the Country’s morale in entirety. Voting for an administration that encourages the acceptance and immigration of Middle Eastern people legally is an important step in creating a more accepting, compassionate environment.

The Presidential Administration is obviously the best way for change to be made as they are the people that can make judicial and governmental change. There are ways to petition for governmental change and to get involved in Committees that work towards these similar goals, but voting and making your voice heard are the best options when trying to make big, impactful change for several years to follow.