Should College Athletes Be Paid?

It’s no secret. Colleges and universities generate hundreds of millions of dollars off of their sports programs, namely from football and basketball. However, the student-athletes themselves do not see any of that money. The debate has never been greater: should college athletes get paid?

Those who believe college athletes should be paid argue that they are “employees”, as they commit just as much time, if not more, to their respective sports than the average person does with their job. In fact, a study showed that the common division one college football player devotes over 43 hours per week to the sport, over 3 hours more than the average American works each week (Forbes). Not only are they committing time, they are also sacrificing the risk of a career ending injury. Secondly, these athletes are forced to miss a substantial amount of class time in-season, as they are travelling to and playing in games. This makes it extremely demanding on them to balance both school and sports, and these people think they should be compensated for it. In addition, many of the coaches get paid millions of dollars each year for the same amount of expected commitment as the players. Nick Saban, the coach of the national champion Alabama Crimson Tide, raked in more than a whopping seven million dollars in 2015! More is that the Alabama athletic department totaled $143.3 Million in revenue this year, and the student-athletes don’t see any of this money, despite being the main reason for the revenue (Forbes).

Those who oppose student-athletes getting paid believe that these athletes are attending school to first and foremost get an education. Having the opportunity to receive a world-class college education for no cost is enough payment for their commitment to their respective sports. Included in this “full ride” are books, food, health services, and a seemingly endless amount of high-end gear. Many athletes also get priority scheduling, tutoring, and housing over the students who are paying full tuition to attend. Furthermore, these people believe that paying the athletes would make them “athlete-students”, as opposed to the student athletes that they are supposed to be. In terms of the college football game, paying athletes would take away recruiting, which is a major aspect of the game. Many hold the belief that recruiting is the main reason college football is so competitive. If athletes were paid, all of the top recruits would just go to the powerhouse school that could offer them the most money. This would make college football less appealing, getting away from the unpredictable and exciting game that we as fans love. The same goes for basketball.

I am a student at Penn State paying full tuition, however I have many close friends who play college sports, including two who play football at Villanova University, and one who plays baseball at Rice University, so I can see certain aspects of both sides of the debate. My initial opinion on this issue is that student-athletes are at school to get an education. The percentage of college athletes that go pro is so slim, so it is important for them to take school seriously so they can obtain quality education for their respective futures. The grossly expensive cost of a four year college can get up to 200,000 plus dollars for some schools, and getting a full ride already presents a major financial advantage for athletes. At the same time, there is no doubt that playing a college sport puts an enormous amount of pressure on the student-athletes, both on the playing field and in the classroom. I do think that for the commitment that they give to the school and the amount of revenue that they generate for the school through sports is so substantial that they do deserve some financial compensation, however I do not see it being logistically possible any time in the near future as it brings up the questions which athletes should be paid and how much.

cartoon

This cartoon shows how the great majority of the reason for all the revenue generated by schools through sports are the athletes themselves, and supports the viewpoint that they should be paid.

NCAAprivlagesComic

This comic depicts that college athletes already have a full ride and special treatment, and supports the viewpoint that they should not be paid.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/marcedelman/2014/01/30/21-reasons-why-student-athletes-are-employees-and-should-be-allowed-to-unionize/#3fc82fee2991

Photo Sources:

http://baylorlariat.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/NCAAprivlagesComic.jpg.jpeg

http://www.chocolatecoveredlies.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/NCAA-athletes-2.jpg

Tags: ,

4 comments

1. I also agree that college athletes should not be paid. The education that they receive (for free) will provide them with a fruitful career that will pay well at absolutely no cost. In addition, those who come to a college to play sports have the opportunity to work hard and showcase their talents, as they have the motivation to aspire to play professionally, which will earn them millions.

2. My initial reaction after reading the first paragraph was “No” and that remained true as I continued through the blog. I definitely agree with what you said about other benefits that these college athletes receive. I also think that these athletes originally start playing sports because it’s something they love, and if the financial benefit is added (aside from the large scholarship that is already there) it will make people begin playing these sports for the wrong reasons and college sports will become more of a business than a game.

3. I don’t believe that college athletes should be paid mainly because of all the financial benefits they receive from playing. While I understand they may undergo possibly more costs such as laundry, I think that they should be grateful for the considerably larger amount of financial assistance they are receiving because there are other students who don’t have that privilege. Also, I agree with Bridget on the point she made about the others demanding compensation. This could lead to higher costs for the rest of students in order to pay these individuals.

4. Bridget Garrity

I think that college athletes should not be paid because, like you said, they already receive huge financial benefits from getting full scholarships. I also think that it is a slippery slope because it could potentially lead to other organizations wanting to get paid for their part as well, such as the blue band. What do you friends who play sports for schools think of the topic?