Web Quest Ideas

For my Webquest, I will be working with Olivia to explore the concepts of innovation, creative thinking, and breaking free of classroom and social conformity. Too often, students are instructed by their teachers in a way that outlines what is the correct answer or truth, and what is false. I remember times in the past and even times in the present where I have felt myself seeking or expecting to receive all the information from an educator/authoritative figure. Through our studies of art education and visual culture, I have learned that now more than ever it is imperative that we give students the agency to think for themselves and to take ownership of their ideas and viewpoints. Teaching students how to think for themselves is a form of empowerment. Always being “given” all the answers will merely hinder an individual’s conceptual development, as well as the development of society as a whole.

With these themes in mind, Olivia and I have proposed a task where the students’ will partake in “Art Charades.” In this exercise, students will randomly be given a slip of paper that contains a thought, concept, or object in which they have to articulate its meaning without literally giving away the concept written on the slip, much like a game of charades. Students will then have to guess each other’s concept from the discussions and dialogues generated from viewing the work. For example, the student’s slip of paper may have the word elephant. Through the use of any means that the student wishes, they will alternately convey the concept of an elephant through their own exploration and research.

About jcl5354