UN sends a message about Woman’s Rights

About a month ago I read an article that really caught my attention and interest. This article was posted online by the New York Times and was in reference to a Gaza Marathon that was cancelled after women were banned from participating. This brought to attention woman’s rights on a world wide scale. It is clear that although America has a way to go for total equality of the sexes, the rest of the world may be decades behind.

The Gaza Marathon was going for the third year in a row and women were initially allowed to register for the run. The marathon was cancelled by the United Nations, the organizer of the event, after Palestinian Islamic leaders banned women from participating.  This run is a huge annual fundraiser for the country and will cause a huge loss in potential inflows of money. However, the cancelation of the event is a big step for women’s rights in countries such as Gaza.

The cancelation of a major event such as this marathon sends a strong signal in the middle east regarding the rights and treatment of women. The United Nations is sending the message that woman are to be given fair and equal opportunities as men. Though this is just a small incident in the grand scheme of life, it is a step in the right direction.

Women in middle eastern countries do not have nearly the same opportunities as women in the United States. Some countries forbid women from leaving the house without a male family member. It will take a lot of pressure and support from across the globe to advance woman’s rights in certain countries. Though these are often referred to as religious customs, they are actually more of cultural customs. Cultures can be altered and changed and I have hope that with more occurrences such as this one in Gaza, woman’s rights can be improved across the globe.

Article: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/06/world/middleeast/gaza-marathon-canceled-after-women-are-barred-from-participating.html?_r=1&

This entry was posted in Civic Issues. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to UN sends a message about Woman’s Rights

1. Shannon Lachman says:

I think it is important to send a message about the importance of women’s rights. A marathon may seem like something not overly important, but it is crucial to make a stand on all of the things we can.

2. Rose Schlenk says:

I had no idea about this race, first of all, or the ban on women participating. I think it’s a good thing that they cancelled the race, as it sent a powerful message. I’m glad to see that though some parts of the world may be behind in women’s rights, there are people and organizations that won’t allow them to continue.