Santorini, Greece

Last week was hell week for me. Actually, my days until finals are over will be busy. I bought total of five energy drinks and spend over 30 dollars on Starbucks for coffee. This explains how much I suffered last week doesn’t it? So I decided to look over places that will heal my tired mentality. Fortunately, my friend in Greece facebook messaged me this weekend and asked about my recent status and I told her how much stressful the school work was. After talking to her about my life, she suggested to come to Greece during summer and leave everything behind. I looked up where she lived, and she lived in Santorini, which is a volcanic island in the Greek islands. For this week, I will take a look at where my friend lives and the place I might visit in the future.

Santorini is known for its dramatic view and as sunset town. Since it is island, it is surrounded by beautiful beaches. Its got everything so every year, this place attracts millions of travellers around the world. I could see why my friend strongly suggested me to visit her. The atmosphere at Santorini was generally peaceful and quiet, perfect place to think worry about nothing. In Santorini Island, there are several villages and towns that are perched along the top cliff of the caldera. The main town is called Fira, which is located on the top of a cliff of a caldera.

When you first arrive at Fira, you need to hit the black sand beaches. The sand is literally black, isn’t it cool? Next up, check to see if the Ancient Akrotiri is open to people. Akrotiri is another village in Santorini and it offers a great view of the caldera and volcano. It became famous because it is known for settlement of Akrotiri and it contains the ancient history as well as modern civilization. If this village is not open to visitors, I would head to the Island of Thirassia to climb the ancient stairs that lead to the city of Manolas. As you may recognized, there are so many historical places at Santorini so the appearance can be little old but it contains the beauty of ancient. When you climb up the stairs, you will reach a viewpoint where you can capture the entire view of Santorini.

However, the most impressive and attractive fact about Santorini is the fascinating beaches. There are so many beaches, such as red beach, perissa beach, kamari beach, perivolos beach, agios georgios beach, cape columbo beach, monolithos beach, and finally vlychada beach. I always wanted to live near beaches because I love the sound of the waves that hits sand and rocks.

All about Santorini makes me want to leave everything behind and buy the flight ticket to Greece. If I get a chance to visit my friend, I will definitely want to go, especially with someone special. I know that Santorini is known for a place for a romantic getaway in Greece. Santorini is special because you can enjoy clear waters while perched on the rim of a massive active volcano in the middle of the sea.

2 thoughts on “Santorini, Greece

1. I almost feel like packing up my bags and leaving now. The past few weeks have been super stressful for me too, so I totally understand your desire to just escape. But just hang in there, we’re gonna make it!

2. Greece is a beautiful country, but I’ve only had the opportunity to be in Greek waters for a very short period of time. I was born in Istanbul, Turkey, and my mom’s side of the family is Turkish. This means that I spend a lot of time in Turkey, and sometimes we take boat tours of some Greek islands. Honestly, the Mediterranean is a hotbed of culture and if given the opportunity, I would recommend that everybody visit countries like Greece and Turkey.