Research Interests

My main idea for a future research project would be based on the analysis of the interplay and opposition of different forms of popular and high culture in the formation and conception of Spanish identity. In addition to this, I would like to explore other forms of counter-culture within particular contexts such as the Enlightenment era as a reaction to intellectual approaches to national identity and Spanish society. From Cervantes to contemporary literature and passing through Larra, I would like to trace a coherent line among the different literary approaches to Spanish identity from the XVI century to modern times.

In regards to other interests, I would like to learn more about the ontological crisis of the Latin American subject first represented in literature in Comentarios Reales by Inca Garcilaso de la Vega. Furthermore, I would like to explore the tensions between the European and Latin American approaches to the formation of the new nations since the independent movements within the discourses of Simon Bolivar, Andres Bello, Domingo Sarmiento or José Marti among others. In addition to this, I want to look into the interactions between the Spanish and Latin American concepts of national identity during the colonial and postcolonial periods. I am also interested in modernismo, its relation with Spain, its reaction to modernization, and its connection with the stream of thought of Marxism and Frankfurt School. Furthermore, I would like to know more about any form of social or political criticism. Specifically, within the realm of poetry, I am interested in the intensification of the cultismo literario that represented the transition from Renaissance to Baroque literature from Garcilaso to Gongora. In addition, I would like to study the two sides of Quevedo as a cultista and his sonetos escatologicos as a reaction to particular patterns in the literary tradition of his time.