Week 6: Adversity

Welcome back everyone!

It’s Friday and I am so excited that the weekend is so near!

This week this blog will be about athlete adversity in all forms. Not just being an athlete but adversities in life as well and hope you can handle it!

In the Face of Adversity - Pathways2Life - Lights Along the Path

Adversity: difficulties; misfortune.

First adversity can come in all forms. But for athletes it comes in the physical form more often.  For example like, Falling behind in a match, making a mistake that costs your team a goal, getting an unfair call from a referee, encountering a hostile crowd and etc, are all physical/mentally adversities.  Adversity is hard to come across at first but you can cope and handle it!

Adversity can also be part of gender, race, sexual orientation, or even just being a person in a space of difficulties that are hard to face.

Rebounding from Adversity:

Rebounding is finding ways for YOU to cope with your adversities that you face.

In the article, “10 strategies to help coaches and athletes defeat adversity”, written by Juan Pablo Favero, a women’s soccer coach at Oakland University in Michigan. He claims in the article that, “[…]athletes must understand that these moments can be overcome” he expresses options like taking, “One step at a time. Positive Self talk. Helping one another. Focusing on the why. [and] Pushing past the difficulties.”(Coach & A.D 2015).  Coach Favero is advertising a winning mindset for overcoming adversity and that comes from understanding that you are more than capable of handling adversity and its only temporary effects it has on you.

4 Steps to Get a Basketball Rebound - Teach Hoops

Without adversity, there would be no growth, and without growth, there would be no lesson to be learned. So in the long run Adversity is nothing but a temporary roadblock you can push past and grow from. Not just as an athlete but from being a human.

ADAPTING is a big part of adversity.  It the step to overcoming your adveristy.

5 Ways to Overcome Obstacles and Achieve Success | EHS Today

Remaining optimistic and knowing when to accept negative facts that are inevitable and hard to maintain in our emotional equilibrium. In the article, “How Do We Adapt To Adversity” by BBVA. it explains that Resilience mode, “[…] serves as a guide for planning preventive or curative interventions that support people going through difficulties.”(OpenMind BBVA 2013). Hence, Adversity is maintainable difficulty that can be solved and is happening in our daily lives.

I talk about adversity in an athletes perspective a lot since this an athlete based blog but adversity comes to about everyone in all shapes and sizes. Physical, mental, and emotional adversity throughout my blog has been adversities from a athletes point of view but outside of sports and as a human being adversity happens to everyone. Whether it be my race, gender or intelligence it can happen to anyone and you can cope. Ask for help and know that there is always a way to solve it.

Dynamic Leaders Ask for Help

Well, that concludes this weeks blog! I hope you all enjoyed it! I know adversity is such a broad topic and I do plan on explaining further with examples of celebrities and athletes in my next blog or two.

Works Cited:

https://www.bbvaopenmind.com/en/humanities/sociology/how-do-we-adapt-to-adversity/

10 strategies to help coaches and athletes defeat adversity