The Pygmalion Effect

After viewing the video in this weeks lesson, I realized my manager used me as a test case. So what does that mean?  I have worked for Ted for 2 years and he immediately took a shine to me.  He knew I loved an overflowing plate and challenging work.  When I asked, he kept filling that plate and I kept delivering.  He always put me in challenging situations. For example, I have been working on my public speaking throughout my career.  Last year alone, he had me get certified in facilitation, explaining it was a terrific way to broaden my skill set. I struggled but I did not give up.  I remained focused, was allowed to skin my knee and came back stronger than I ever imagined I could – I actually posted the highest facilitation scores out of any of our facilitators certified in the class and did this my first class out.  Fast forward 6 months later and the senior leadership team was looking for a volunteer to facilitate our All Hands Meeting.  Ted informed me at our next 1-1 that he told them I would love to do it.  Now of course I could decline, he said, the choice was mine, but what a great brand building opportunity. He shared he knew I could do this.  I could have died on the spot, facilitating a meeting for 200 people,  but I knew I needed to do it, so I agreed.  I spent the entire Thanksgiving break practicing and trying to keep the negative self talk out of my head. I stayed positive, practiced on my family and you know what, I nailed it.  Even when I didn’t necessarily believe in myself, Ted did, and I found myself working hard to not let him down.

If I could just shift that energy and power to myself -would I always win?

2 thoughts on “The Pygmalion Effect

1. mem301

Hi Jackie! Love this! It’s amazing what a manager like Ted can do. I want to be just like him when I grow up.

2. gtt110

Hi Jackie,
    Great blog! I wish I had a manager like Ted! Sounded like he was also a true mentor! He seemed a lot like Eileen in the video. And like Bob Harris in the video, you obvioulsly bloomed! That is awesome how much you grew at your work and how your hard work is paying off! I’m sure you are a true inspiration to your family and co-workers! At my work, my management is more like the “Mr. Daltons” of the world.
    Thanks, George