A Peachy Start at the Berkey Creamery

Ever since the start of Summer, I have been looking for a job due to large amount of free time I have out of class. I applied to many different places on campus including the Penn Stater Hotel, the Nittany Lion Inn, and of course the Berkey Creamery. Hearing back from both the Penn Stater and the Creamery, I had to decide which job to take. At the Penn Stater, I obtained a job as a dishwasher and at the Creamery I got a job as a storefront worker. The Penn Stater is not exactly on campus and is a considerable hike with it being at Innovation Park. Simply due to the closeness of the Creamery, I decided on this job to fulfill my want to work and it was definitely the right decision.

My first day was last week and upon arrival I felt very welcomed by all the workers there. The manager’s on duty showed me around and trained me on scooping ice cream, making milkshakes, and working the cash register. What surprised me was that at the Creamery the “managers” are student advisers from Penn State and are current students here. Alexis, the student adviser who trained me, is going to be a sophomore in the Fall and holds a big responsibility at the Creamery. Aside from training new workers, she makes sure everything is running smoothly and that all the workers are in line doing their job. Personally, I had come from a lot of experience in customer service from high school since I worked at Red Robin for 2 years, so everything came rather easy to me. The only thing that did not come easy was the threatening amount of customers who came through the doors at an alarming rate. The Creamery is busy, busy, busy from the point they open and is a Penn State staple in the Summer, so every worker needs to be on their A-game in dealing with all of these people.

All in all, my first day went very smoothly and fast as I worked at the cash register taking people’s orders of ice cream and sending them on their way. The student advisers even provided lunch with the money we made from tips and got a bunch of pizza and dessert. One of the biggest perks of the job though is free ice cream whenever I want :-), which is big selling point to me since I love ice cream. In conclusion, I plan to stay at this place of work to stay busy and also fulfill my want for ice cream, all the while meeting new people for the start of freshman year.