Passion Post 7 – James Balog

For all who didn’t know, I love diving deep into the topic of the global warming crisis and all the factors that play a role in the development. Just like me, James Balog has spent a large sum of his life dedicating to further understanding the impacts of global warming and advocating for change. Although James Balog is a well-known and award-winning photographer, Balog has played a crucial role in my college experience not only in inspiration, but also being a major supporter of the BS/MBA Program that I am in. That being said, I thought it would be best if I shared the inspiring work he has done, especially since he will be at the Penn State movie theater on October 26th, at 7:00 pm where he will be playing his movie and answering questions.

Renowned environmental photographer and filmmaker James Balog is well-known for his outstanding work capturing how climate change affects the world’s glaciers and ice formations. His evocative and breathtaking photography has played a significant role in increasing public awareness of the unfolding climate catastrophe. The award-winning documentary “Chasing Ice” (2012), which features Balog’s most well-known work, uses time-lapse photography to show the startling disappearance of glaciers, presenting a visual testament as undeniable as Galileo’s telescope to the reality of climate change. The movie won praise from critics and was instrumental in emphasizing how urgent it is to address climate-related concerns.

James Balog established the Extreme Ice Survey (EIS), a lengthy photographic project that involves placing time-lapse cameras at significant glacier locations across the world. The project’s goal is to document how glacial landscapes change over time. A sizable collection of powerful visuals that highlight the effects of global warming have been produced by EIS. In addition, Balog is the author of “Ice: Portraits of Vanishing Glaciers” (2012), which has some breathtaking images from his Extreme Ice Survey. These striking pictures serve as a sobering reminder of how urgent it is to stop climate change, their beauty and fragility forming an alluring and arresting allure.

Apart from his filming endeavors, Balog has presented a number of captivating TED Talks, such as “The James Balog Project” and “Time-lapse proof of extreme ice loss.” Millions of people have viewed these presentations, which are effective teaching resources for illustrating to a worldwide audience the severe consequences of climate change. Along with directing “The Human Element” (2018), he also examines how humans and environment interact, highlighting the ways in which human activity has changed the elements of Earth, such as fire, water, air, and earth. His work has appeared in National Geographic magazine, and he has won several honors and distinctions, including as the Hubbard Medal from the National Geographic Society, the Prince of Asturias Award for Communication and Humanities, and the Heinz Award. James Balog’s dedication to capturing the world’s changing landscapes and his commitment to environmental advocacy make him a notable figure in the fight against climate change, inspiring and educating people around the world.

TED Talk and Unit 2 Ideas

Teens, Technology, and the Antidote | TED Talk

Although this TED Talk is only eight minutes long and was done by only a 15 year old, it manages to be one of my favorite TED talks because of its simplicity and important message. In this Ted talk, 15 year old Ilana Nguyen tackles the topic of teens and technology and the positive and negative impacts it has on their health. In her presentation, Ilana mentions how technology is a great tool on connecting people from all across the world and allowing for the expression of diverse cultures. However, Ilana states a long list of negative impacts it has on teenager’s lives, claiming that we are in a “lonely epidemic,” saying that technology has led us to the eventual decline of social skills. I enjoy this TED talk very much because I believe that her message is a hundred percent correct, that although technology and social media has a mass amount of positive effects, it has brought an equivalent amount of problems that impact us even more on our day to day lives. I believe that the solution that Ilana concludes with is important, that if we want to combat the negative impacts of social media, it starts with ourselves.

IDEAS:

One of the ideas I had for Unit 2, was taking a closer look on how social media has affected teenagers and younger kids throughout the past three decades and see if it has led to a noticeable decline in mental health and social skills.

Another idea is looking further into how social media has changed the way we share and spread information in the past few decades, and whether or not it has lead made people feel closer or separated.

Passion Post 6 – The Rural Outreach Center

RURAL OUTREACH CENTER - East Aurora Chamber of Commerce

The Rural Outreach Center was one of my favorite places to do community service back in my hometown of East Aurora. Throughout my time here, I have done a small amount of 75 hours of community service, ranging from tutoring students with disabilities, food drive, and cloth drives. The small establishment has had a larger impact on me than any other places I have worked throughout my community service career, and I am so excited to talk a little bit more about their impact on my town.

The Rural Outreach Center (ROC) is located in the center of East Aurora, New York, and has contributed to the development of the local history. This important group, which was founded in 2011, has contributed significantly to alleviating rural poverty and providing assistance to people in need, leaving its mark on the history of the community. The ROC’s inception can be attributed to a group of dedicated East Aurora residents who were acutely aware of the silent struggles of rural poverty within their community. Motivated by compassion and a desire for change, they joined forces to create a center that would offer essential services and assistance to those facing economic hardships. The ROC’s humble beginnings centered around providing food assistance, but its vision soon expanded to encompass job training, mental health services, educational resources, and more.

It has not gone unnoticed that the ROC is committed to strengthening lives and building a feeling of community. It has evolved through time into a representation of tenacity and teamwork, making an imprint on East Aurora’s history. Its influence is not just quantified by numbers, but also by the increased sense of community and compassion it has engendered. The ROC still plays a crucial role in East Aurora’s history as it develops and broadens its scope of services. Its tale exemplifies the dramatic transformation that may take place when a community rallies to support its most helpless people. The legacy of the Rural Outreach Center is one of kindness, cooperation, and the firm conviction that nobody should be left behind. It serves as a constant reminder that, despite hardship, optimism and constructive change can flourish when people come together for a shared goal and help build the history of East Aurora.

While the ROC’s services continue to grow, it remains an important part of East Aurora’s narrative. Its story shows the dramatic change that can occur when a community comes together to help its most vulnerable people. The Rural Outreach Center has left a legacy of generosity, collaboration, and the strong belief that no one should be left behind. It is proof that, even in the midst of hardship, optimism and constructive change can bloom when people come together with a common goal and contribute to East Aurora’s continuous history.

Speech Reflection

Reflection on my own speech:

Although I believe my speech had done a good job emphasizing its message, one major thing I could have improved upon was my delivery. Throughout a majority of my speech, I believe I only had one expression and did not really change when talking about certain points. I think this may have contributed to the speech being a little boring and bland. I think just by simply changing my expressions to visually show how I feel about a certain point will help make my speech more impactful and easier to watch. Another area which I believed I had a more difficult time with was expression in my voice. Although I had made sure to pause once in a while to emphasize a certain point, my tone of expression stayed about the same throughout the entire speech. I believe if I got louder or talked slower at some of my main points, I would have been able to improve how engaging my speech was. Overall, I believe that my speech went well, and I am extremely happy on how it went.

Reflection on classmates’ speech:

Barbara’s speech on Martin Luther King Jr.’s “I Have a Dream” speech stuck out to me as one that did a good job of exploring their civic artifact after witnessing other of my classmates’ presentations. Barbara spoke clearly and without stuttering; I could tell she was knowledgeable about the issue, which helped me grasp what she was saying. Her study of King’s speech was thorough, and the historical context she provided helped the audience understand King’s already well-known address. In my perspective, she did an outstanding job explaining how MLK Jr.’s trustworthiness and good use of rhetorical circumstances boosted the persuasiveness of his speech. Overall, I thought Barbara did an excellent job and much appreciated her efforts.

Passion Post 5 – Rooftop Bees

You can’t run from them, you can’t hide from them, the bees are everywhere, and you can’t get rid of them. Even in places you would never suspect there to be multiple beehives, beekeepers have found yet another way to bring their fuzzy friends into your neighborhood in some of the most unique ways. One of the most popular ways to do this in an urban setting is by doing rooftop beekeeping.

Rooftop beekeeping is becoming more popular in large cities like as New York, Chicago, and even Sydney, Australia. One of the primary reasons their beehives are being placed to the rooftop is the need for greener infrastructure. As you may have seen, cities are more often than not made up of concrete structures or closely packed residences rather than parks or forests. Many sites, such as skyscrapers or homes, are incorporating additional agricultural, such as vines or gardens, to progress towards a friendlier environment. Beehives are built up near these locations to assist foster the newly developed plants, which aids in their efforts. The bees will help the flowers or plants grow and pollinate, fostering a healthy ecosystem.

Rooftop beehives are utilized for educational purposes in addition to agricultural objectives. Rooftop beehives are generally the nearest and easiest method to acquire access to the beehives for a school, college, or community organization that wishes to invite a group to learn more about bees in the city. Research is ongoing for efforts to assess the influence of the urban environment on bee populations and behavior, which are frequently utilized to provide vital data on bee health and urban ecology.

As a personal interest, cultivating a rooftop beehive in the city promises a rich and highly satisfying experience. It fosters a deep connection with nature in the midst of urban cacophony, cultivating a sense of responsibility for local environment. The practice of beekeeping provides a peaceful and meditative respite from the hectic pace of city life. It promotes sustainability by promoting pollinators and cultivating healthy urban gardens. Harvesting your own honey not only delivers a tasty and satisfying harvest, but also a lovely sense of self-sufficiency, why work for the bees when the bees can work for you? Investigating the complexities of bee behavior, hive management, and biology is a very interesting hobby. Furthermore, beekeeping frequently develops a dynamic feeling of community, where enthusiasts may interact with other urban beekeepers, share expertise, and together contribute to the noble goal of protecting bee numbers in a challenging environment.

Rough Draft of Speech

Due to being extremely sick over the last week, I have fallen on getting the first rough draft of the paper completed. Instead with permission, I will be writing the script for the speech instead. Note that originally, I believe that there was supposed to be two artifacts for the speech, however for the future I will only be incorporating the one titled “Shelter in (No) Place.”

During this speech, some of the things I worried about included not talking enough about the poster itself, but more about if I lack talking about subjects such as common place, color theory, ethos, pathos, and logos.

Today, let’s deeply explore the phrase “Shelter in (No) Place,” a powerful symbol of human resilience and societal inequality. This phrase, with just five words, holds immense meaning. It juxtaposes “Shelter,” symbolizing refuge and a fundamental right, with “No,” a stark reminder of those without shelter, exposed to life’s harsh realities.

During the pandemic, as we practiced “sheltering in place” for safety, it illuminated the plight of the homeless, highlighting societal inequalities. This paradox mirrored the disparities revealed by the pandemic, impacting us all but disproportionately affecting some.

“Shelter in (No) Place” goes beyond rhetoric; it underscores the pandemic’s universal impact, breaking class and status barriers. It reminds us that homelessness isn’t isolated but part of broader societal issues. It’s a communal failure, highlighting systemic problems needing collective solutions. Amid the pandemic, our collective health relied on caring for the most vulnerable, including the homeless.

Examining “Shelter in (No) Place” and self-isolation raises vital questions about citizenship and inclusion. What does citizenship mean when shelter for all is essential for public health? Can we claim true community when basic housing rights are denied? These questions reveal weaknesses in our civic ideals and social fabric, especially evident during the pandemic’s emphasis on collective action.

This poster and this scene elicit a profound sense of pathos. The juxtaposition of “Shelter in (No) Place” with the image of a homeless man grappling with the concept of “homeless self-isolation” tugs at our heartstrings. Pathos is invoked as we face the stark human consequences of homelessness during a pandemic. It’s impossible not to empathize and feel compassion for this individual facing dire circumstances. This image compels us to consider the emotional toll of homelessness and isolation, emphasizing the urgent necessity for action to tackle this problem.

Next, we must consider this image’s ethical dimension or ethos. Ethos pertains to the credibility and ethics of the message and the messenger. The statement “Shelter in (No) Place” challenges us to question the ethics of a society that allows such disparities to persist, particularly during a public health crisis like the COVID-19 pandemic. The homeless man holding the sign embodies truth and lived experience. His presence in the image lends authenticity to the message, reminding us that this issue is not an abstraction but a live reality for countless individuals. His appearance demands that we, as responsible citizens, acknowledge the moral imperative to address homelessness and ensure that everyone has shelter during times of crisis.

Lastly, let us analyze the image through the lens of logos, the appeal to logic and reason. The phrase “Shelter in (No) Place” and the scene of a homeless man engaging in “homeless self-isolation” symbolize a logical paradox. Logos, in this context, urges us to consider the inherent contradiction between the call for self-isolation as a public health measure and the reality that not everyone has the means to do so. It forces us to confront the logical inconsistency within our societal framework, where we ask people to stay home for the greater good but fail to provide shelter to those who have none. This image serves as a logical argument, a visual representation of the need for systematic change to align our actions with our principles and prioritize shelter for all.

For many of us, self-isolation means finding refuge within our homes during times of crisis. However, for those without shelter, self-isolation becomes perilous. It highlights the tragic irony that, in a world urging us to “stay safe by staying home,” a segment of our population remains vulnerable, exposed, and devoid of the refuge we take for granted. The pandemic magnified this injustice, revealing a society where the most vulnerable fend for themselves during a crisis demanding unity and compassion. It served as a reminder that our well-being, safety, and humanity are interconnected. We must strive for justice, compassion, and equality, particularly when facing crises that challenge the very fabric of our society.

Passion Post 4 – Friends of the Night People

Image result for friends of the night people buffalo ny

Over the past week, I had gotten extremely sick, so sick I had to return to my hometown in Buffalo in order to get additional aid from my parents. This time I had spent at home, reminded me of one of the places I had done a large sum of community service hours in, a place called Friends of the Night People. This building is famous throughout Buffalo for helping the homeless and providing a sufficient amount of food and clothing to those who are in need. Friends of the Night People has been a place me and my family have spent many hours getting to know a variety of people that live in Buffalo, and one of the many places where my view on life had been changed.

Friends of the Night People was founded all the way back in 1969 by a group of clergy as a safe place for those who were in need. After their establishment, Friends of the Night People continued to grow and prosper, increasing the amount of aid it had for the poor. As time went on, they knew that they needed to find a new location to fit their needs, so they moved to the corner of Hudson and Wadsworth Street in 1983 to continue their work. From this point, not too much changed for the organization, people were still in need of food, winters were cold and required warm clothing, and homeless remained a large problem in Buffalo. However, what did change was the awareness of the problem of homelessness. People around Buffalo often began to call Friends of the Night People to see if they could help volunteer or if they could help make fun raisers to help out their local soup kitchen. Friends of the Night People had official been woven into the community of Buffalo, and almost everyone at some point has donated or worked at the establishment.

Unique stories, being buried in a mountain of clothes, having food thrown at me, are all things I can say I have experienced while working at Friends of the Night People. This place was one of the most interesting places I got to work at throughout my time in Buffalo doing community service. I have meet so many different people at Friends of the Night People and I listened to a wide range of different stories people had to share, all of which has helped me realize how important it is to give back to the community and the duty we all have to doing community service. Friends of the Night People has had a long-lasting impact on my life that has developed me to the person I am today, and I can’t wait to be back and work there soon.