post

Outreach and Mentoring

Outreach

At Penn State I help middle and high school students monitor streams impacted by shale drilling. We sample stream chemistry and make depth and velocity profiles at three sites around the Black Moshannon.

Here’s a nice little writeup from May 2016 in the Centre Daily Times (and yes, that is me identified as a State College Area High School earth science student in the caption).

Real-time stream monitoring with HOBO data collectors!

Baby fluvial geomorphologists

I am also assisting the Shavers Creek Environmental Center design new exhibits for their newly-renovated classrooms. Here is the poster I made that is currently hanging in their classroom (Shavers Creek poster). I plan to incorporate collaborations with the center into my Science Outreach and Communication class (Fall 2016).

Mentoring

During the summer 2015 I mentored Sarah Granke (Pomona College) in field mapping, point counts and soil samples in Garner Run at the SSHCZO. Find our abstract from GSA 2015 here!

During the summer 2016 I mentored Connor Martin (University of Pittsburgh) and Perri Silverhart (Middlebury College) in field mapping, soil sampling, infiltrometer testing and designing and executing sprinkler experiments in Garner Run. GSA 2016: my abstract (with Connor) can be found here, and Perri’s abstract is here. Perri and Connor also presented their work at the CUAHSI conference – check them out (Perri ,Connor)!