the fine art of selfiez

Even though the snapchat craze is dying down, it seems as if we just can’t stop ourselves from taking selfies. Urban dictionary, a.k.a my savior in life, defines the selfie as, “A strange phenomenon in which the photographer is also the subject of the photograph, in a subversive twist on the traditional understanding of the photograph. Usually conducted because the subject cannot locate a suitable photographer to take the photo, like a friend”. LOLz, I’d say that’s pretty accurate. And because I basically have no friends I’ve pretty much mastered the art of the selfie. Below are some photos I took for a school assignment. The purpose of the assignment was to capture your self and anti-self. See if you can see which ones are which! Also, here are some tips if you ever find yourself struggling to find a photographer:

• don’t EVER, i mean EVER, take a mirror selfie. barf.
  • according to Rihanna, who is known as a selfie queen, to get a good selfie one must “get a good light”. so basically try to get a lighting bright enough to show off your best features but dim enough to hid your zits. 
  • Rihanna also suggests, “make it fierce”. I don’t know if I have quite mastered the art of making it fierce, but once in a while I don’t smile so does that count?
  • have fun with it

IMG_0387 IMG_0618 IMG_0812 IMG_0909 IMG_0162 IMG_0257 IMG_0149 IMG_0131

4 responses to “the fine art of selfiez

1. I find that holidays really bring out the “selfies”. What is an “Easter Selfie”?!

2. I think this blog post was less about selfless and more about expressing your sense of loneliness. You will continue to have no friends if you keep this up. But other than that love the tips on selflies!

3. Your blog post is very interesting to me because I specialize in taking mirror pics. I love mirror pics of all kinds: clothed/unclothed, relaxed/flexing, I don’t discriminate. We can always agree to disagree.

4. Jason Marshall

It’s interesting that you have no friends, Janki. Just the other day, I thought we were in the middle zone, and now I don’t even have that.