Memoir: Penn State Football

It was Saturday October 22, 2016.  The weather forecast for State College, Pennsylvania was calling for clear skies with a brisk fall temperature.  However, on that night there was a great storm, a storm of white.  The storm brought with it a tenacious roar that filled the night time sky in Happy Valley.  A storm so loud that you can almost feel the ground shaking.  I bet you could hear the echoing of the storm from anywhere within a two-mile radius.  It sounded something like “WE ARE…PENN STATE, WE ARE…PENN STATE, WE ARE…PENN STATE.”  This storm did not involve the weather or Mother Nature, but instead it was the result of Penn State’s annual whiteout Game.

WE ARE Chant Occurring At Beaver Stadium
Fans clad in white get excited as Penn State prepares to take on Ohio State

Ok, let me backtrack a little bit.  As an avid and die-hard Penn State fan, I always wanted to become a season ticket holder for the football games.  Well, in 2016 I decided for this dream of mine to become a reality when I purchased my tickets with a couple of my buddies.  At this point, I had already seen my fair share of games, however I could never get tickets to the white out game.  But, now I did.  The whiteout game for the season was the Ohio State game.  I could not be more thrilled!

So, the season started in late August and Penn State started 2-2.  Granted the team was only predicted to have an average season, but as a Penn State fan your optimism is through the roof.  I had my doubts but never gave up hope that the team would have a successful season.  Sure enough, the Nittany Lions cruised to win four straight after that last loss.  But, their biggest task was yet to come.  This task was going against a team with National Championship aspirations and a rank of #2 in the country.  This team was Ohio State.

So after a long week of anticipation and anxiousness, the day finally arrived.  I woke at 6 am and arrived in Happy Valley around 8:30 am.  The tailgating immediately began at sunrise and continued until nighttime took over.  Game time was now getting closer and closer.   As I have always done, I continued with my pregame superstition of eating a pulled pork sandwich right before I entered the stadium.  I also figured this was as good a time as any to get my hand warmers fired up in anticipation of the chilly night ahead.

I will never forget the walk into the stadium that night.  To not get my hopes up, I just kept reminding myself that Ohio State was the better team and obvious favorite to win the game.   I reached my seat, seat 10 row 49 section WBU to be exact.  I looked on as the 107,279 other seats in Beaver Stadium quickly filled up and created a magnificent sea of white.  I took a moment just to take it all in.  The sights and sounds were like nothing I have ever seen nor heard.  Next, the drum major came out darting from the tunnel and perfectly executed his two flips topped off with a split.  It just so happens his parents were sitting right next to my friends and I at the game.  Then, the always great and talented Blue Band along with the Nittany Lion did their part in helping electrify the crowd.  Finally, the team was exiting their locker room about to take the field.  Fans quickly rose to their feet, where they would remain for the rest of the game, myself included.  The attention of the crowd quickly turned to the video boards located behind the north and south end zones to see a pregame pump up video.  The team was anxiously ready to storm the field with head coach James Franklin leading.   Suddenly, flashes of light filled the sky, as for the first time ever Beaver Stadium launched fireworks before the game.  The team ran out to a tumultuous crowd that screamed their lungs out in appreciation for the team.  However, cheering quickly turned to boos as the Buckeyes of Ohio State came out from the opposing side.

Penn State’s Drum Major Completing A Split.

James Franklin Leads His Team Onto The Field 10/22/16.

Ohio State’s kicker Tyler Durbin lined up to get the game started.  He was quickly greeted by fans who filled the massive stadium with noise, “OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHH.”  This echoed for about 30 seconds.  Finally, the game had started.

The game started off slow because both defenses played at top caliber.  This would continue until the second quarter when Ohio State put up the first points of the game.  They quickly jumped out to a comfortable lead and by the time the fourth quarter started it seemed like I was going to have to keep reminding myself that losing was a probable thing.  ESPN said Ohio State had a 97.6% win probability as of then.  However, the fourth quarter was all Penn State.  Quarterback Trace McSorely found his groove and completed almost all of his passes whether they were short or deep.  Running back Saquon Barkely also helped get the Lions back into it.  The Nittany Lions stormed back and so did the crowd.  The team found themselves with an opportunity to take the lead.  Unfortunately, the dominant defense of Ohio State was going to do their best to prevent this from happening.  The Nittany Lions ended up losing the ball and their red-hot offense quickly stalled.  To make things worse, Ohio State drove right down the field led by quarterback J.T. Barret.  They made it all the way down to Penn State’s 23-yard line.  It was here where Penn State’s defense finally made a stop.  Ohio State was electing to kick a field goal and to Penn State fans it would be the dagger.  The game would be over.

But then the unthinkable happened…

The crowd was electrified and rejuvenated.  I was hugging and high-fiving people I had never even met.  The stadium was shaking and the adrenaline could be felt.  The atmosphere became so loud as I along with all the other 107,000 spectators sang with the utmost pride that “we are Penn State” and we are proud.   But wait, the game wasn’t over just yet.  Ohio State got the ball back.  Everyone in that stadium including me was extremely nervous about the dangerous offense they possessed.  However, Penn State’s defense stepped up and dominated with a sack by Garrett Sickels to end the game.  Penn State was victorious!

They did it. They knocked off the number two team in America.  I saw fans starting to rush the field and I figured I’d do the same.  I hopped the gate and joined my fellow Penn State fans in what would be night that Penn State and Ohio State fans will never forget.  I was glad to be part of history and be involved with the legacy that is Penn State Football.  They did it!

Penn State Fans Rush The Field Following A 24-21 Win Over Ohio State

RECAP THIS HISTORIC NIGHT