Let’s Talk About The Beginning

It all started with a couple of Black Spade block parties in the mid-1970’s.

Around 1968, an African American gang formed as the Savage Seven in Junior High School 123 on Morrison Ave in Soundview, Bronx.

As the gang became more popular in the 1970’s, they renamed themselves the Black Spades.

This teenage street organization sought inspiration from The Five Percent Nation, Malcolm X, the Nation of Islam, the Black Panthers, and the Weather Underground Organization on the fundamental values to fight against racism in the neighborhoods of Bronx. David, the original president of the Black Spade, was a member of the Nation of Islam. Just as these organizations promoted positive change, Black Spade wanted to protect Bronxdale Houses from the rise of crime, drugs, and addiction, while promoting a better lifestyle.

The power and influence of this group was already evident. In no time, the gang expanded to many more nearby housing projects. This is when the subculture of music was introduced into the lives of these gang members.

Gatherings are never complete without music. The earliest hip hop culture began receiving a limelight when groups like Black Spade would introduce raps at park jams, block parties, and clubs.

Now, if we wanted to trace back to the earliest ancestor of rap, the West African griot tradition would be the starting point. In these traditions, oral historians and praise singers would pass down oral traditions and genealogies with the use of rhetorical techniques. This eventually led to various artists creating their own renderings. It is generally agreed that the first ever rap to be put on proper vinyl was “Rappers Delight” by the Sugarhill Gang. This song closely reflected the style that had grown in the South Bronx.

Early hip hop pioneers give credit to street gangs like the Black Spades for initiating the hip hop scene. As the cliches always state, music is a universal language. It evokes feelings that couldn’t even be explained. It highlights struggles, success, wants, needs and a whole lot more. These songs and style originated in the Bronx spread throughout the United States and the world. The rawness and honesty present in these raps became popular instantaneously.

As for Black Spade, its sudden growth in members and popularization caused members to lose focus of their main purpose. The gang turned against its’ own values and became violent and unrestrained themselves. This forced David to step down as President, which would result in Black Spades becoming a full-fledged street gang which initiated many more.

Now, hip hop style is a whole other category that deserves its own post. So, I will save that for next time.

4 thoughts on “Let’s Talk About The Beginning

1. I found this really interesting to read because I did not know about the start-up of the hip-hop culture/music.

I find it really sad to hear about what happened to the Black Spades. I wonder what it would’ve been like if they didn’t stray away from their original beliefs and values.

2. I don’t know much about hip hop so I think it’s really cool to read about how it came to be. I wonder what it would be like if they maintained their nonviolence.

3. I really appreciate that your posts give such detailed backgrounds on the topics you are discussing, so that readers with no knowledge in this field (admittedly, me) can still easily understand the story you are trying to capture. The inclusion of the very videos you discuss are also extremely engaging!

4. I have never heard of the Black Spades before, but this blog post really sparked my interest and has inspired me to learn more about them! It seems like a common theme with hip hop artist both back in those days and nowadays is that it was/is easy for them to lose sight of their main goals and fall prey to outside influences. Great job as always!