So, Is he?

Last blog, I delved into the influential life and ideals of Tupac Shakur, who also dealt with internal conflicts between belief and actions. Now that I was able to preface his ideals and inspirations a bit, I can talk about one of modern music’s most enduring myths. Is Tupac still alive?

The did-he, didn’t he mystery that surrounds the death of Tupac Shakur began since he disappeared from the public eye on September 13th, 1996 at the mere age of 25. That’s only about 6 years older than I am now. He was fatally shot on September 7th in a drive-by shooting in Las Vegas, Nevada. Fans have speculated his death ever since his passing was announced just six days later. These fans, however, have never been able to settle on a go-to story for Tupac’s disappearance.  Whether it’s an FBI cover-up, or a self-made attempt by Tupac to leave the limelight, there’s a myriad of rumors and theories surrounding where the rap icon really is.

Prior to his death, Tupac attended the Bruce Seldon vs. Mike Tyson boxing match with Suge Knight, the head of Death Row Records. After leaving the match, one of Suge Knight’s associates spotted Orlando Anderson in the MGM Grand lobby. Now, earlier that year Anderson and a group of his gang known as the Crips had robbed Lane in a Foot Locker store. When this came to Shakur’s attention, who is mind you part of the Blood gang, he attacked Orlando Anderson. It was later this night when a white Cadillac pulled up to Knight’s car, stopped at a red light, with Shakur in it and opened fire. At the hospital, Shakur was heavily sedated and essentially put under a barbiturate-induced coma after repeatedly trying to get out of bed. Shakur would eventually pass away due to respiratory failure and cardiac failure.

With this information, it is really up to you to decide what really happened to Tupac after his apparent death.

Here are some popular rumors of his where abouts now and recent speculations:

He’s living in Malaysia.

Suge Knight himself actually came out saying that he hung out with him after Tupac’s supposed death.

Tupac, who is usually very adamant about his safety, did not wear a bulletproof vest the night of his death. (Maybe he anticipated this to happen to him?)

When the cremator stated the wrong measurements of Tupacs body, there was controversy. However, the cremator quickly retired, vanished and has never been heard from again.

So could this all have been a publicity stunt? Was Tupac just tired of the having to live the fast life while he just wanted to bring about positive change?

4 thoughts on “So, Is he?

1. I do believe that Tupac is not around with us anymore, but I know that when people believe that someone is still around, it gives them a sense of hope. I think it would be terrible if we made people lose their hope, so I think it is okay that they are believing this.

2. This post, though on a very popular public scandal, was very informative. I admittedly knew nothing about the Tupac-death conundrum, but this post has spelled it all out. I’m going to have to look into this a little more now, though, because my interests are peaked!

3. I think that Tupac could definitely be alive and living somewhere, mostly because I love conspiracy theories but also because stranger things have happened. Your point about the cremator is very interesting and it is very convenient that he can’t be contacted, and I would not be surprised if this was all a political cover up as Tupac’s lyrics were very outspoken.

4. This post to be really interesting. I like how you connected your previous blog post to the next; it kinda mimics a story-line (kinda). All the theories about Tupac floating around, it is hard to pick one to believe. Some of them are just bizarre, but you can’t help but think that it could possibly be true.