Rule #10 – “Be Precise In Your Speech “

The last post in this series on Jordan Peterson’s “Rules for Life” (although there are two more rules, “Do not bother children while they are skateboarding” and “Pet a cat when you encounter one on the street”) I truly hope whoever read and will read my posts were able to gain, at the very least,  a small bit of helpful knowledge and that these rules helped to improve some aspect of your life. Now, without further ado, the final rule.

Being precise in your speech, along with the rest of the rules, is a very important addition to the rulebook. How many times has an argument arisen due to poor choice of words? How many countless instances of conflict have sprung up due to the juvenile uses of words? Well, many throughout history it turns out.

Countless wars and battles have been started due to the accidental absence of respect or a poor choice of words.

Even on a smaller scale, bar fights starting due to a word uttered that was directed at a man’s girlfriend could be easily solved if this rule was followed.

Another way to look at this rule (albeit a very specific example) would be the way in which the words you speak could be interpreted by someone who doesn’t speak the language you speak. With certain words not transferring across languages, being precise could be very important. From negotiating business deals to agreeing on a ceasefire, precise words are needed to ensure things go smoothly.

Imagine making a deal with a company in another country and you mumble, stutter, or speak quietly when talking. The translator might just hear something you didn’t say that changes the whole deal that is being made, which could end up being a major problem.

Additionally, tone is heavily connected with the idea of precise speech. The way you speak is just as important, if not more, than what you say. As my Dad continuously told my brother and me when we would have a “tone” when arguing back, “It’s not what you say but how you say it”.

I could say that you are the nicest person in the world and how funny you are, but if I underpin that comment with a sarcastic tone, it immediately changes how those words are interpreted. I am sure many of you have experienced this situation in one way or another, which is why tone, along with what you say, is very important.