In the defense of a current day philosophy major

Some questions friends, family members and peers have asked me about my philosophy major.

Why Philosophy?

What will you do with that major?

Isn’t Philosophy a thing that old people do?

First off, asking why do philosophy is the exact reason why philosophy is needed. Questions, answers and meanings are central to consciousness and coming to terms with reality. Asking a conscious mind why do philosophy is similar to asking a fish why they swim. To have the ability to self actualize and reflect on our own thoughts without doing so would be the most egregious of acts. Philosophy is in every thing we do, it can analyze the smallest of particles to the largest of universes. Asking “Why Philosophy?” is one of the biggest questions we have yet to answer. Why should I do anything? Why shouldn’t I do everything? Does It meaning this reality actually exist or matter? You see by just asking one question you have already found the answer you were looking for.

I didn’t choose a philosophy major for a job. Yes it may help me get into law school, but the real world applications and reasons why I want to do philosophy out weigh any job or sum of cash. To me philosophy offers something that is more useful then general mastery of a subject or a way to show how intelligent I am. When I leave Penn state I hope that above all, my study of philosophy has made me wiser for it. Doing philosophy makes me look at the world in new and exciting ways. I take time and relish in the good moments and know that the bad ones have meaning in them. To me philosophy could be akin to someones devotion to a religion. But unlike with a deity you are devoted to yourself and your own meaning. I think one can’t chase wisdom, you can’t study how to be wise, or take a test to prove that you are. No degree will tell me that I am wise or prove to anyone else that I understand the happenings of the world. But what philosophy has taught me is that introspection and analyzation of the reality we live in is the easiest way to gain so called “wisdom”.

I believe that everyone should be doing philosophy, at least in some small way. Everyone should take time to self reflect and ask themselves why. Philosophy isn’t something that needs to be done by the elite everyone can do it. I feel like people hold philosophers to some high standard, but truly anyone who takes the time to look at the world and truly try to understand how and why it works can do philosophy. Hopefully this answers those three questions that I have been asked on many occasions. I would also like to add that talking down about anyones major is the lowest of blows and doesn’t take into consideration their goals and pillars of what their version of a successful life is. We need to stop judging each other for the things we are passionate about.

5 thoughts on “In the defense of a current day philosophy major

1. I am actually in a philosophy course this semester. It’s called PHIL 211, Knowing Right from Wrong, and it’s all about morality. It has been very interesting so far to learn about the fundamental ideas and possible explanations of morality. You should look into it if you need another philosophy course to round out your studies!

2. I really appreciate you picking a major based on your interest rather than for the money. In the end, I feel like everyone will be happier if they chose this path.

3. I respect your decision to follow something you are passionate about beyond its ability to make you money. Not enough people do that in the US and I am one of those.

4. People often get caught up with things that don’t really matter. Philosophy allows people to be further their sense of self and be more satisfied with the life they live.

5. Sometimes I wonder myself if I will be truly passionate about my career in the end, so I think its great that you’re already sure of this.