The Sport Itself

What is the world’s most famous sport? Growing up in the United States many might believe that Football, Baseball, or Basketball is the most popular sport, but soccer is overlooked by many as it is not dominant in American professional sports. The game of soccer is the worlds most famous competition due to its history in almost every country in the world. The purity of the game makes it possible for people of all economic backgrounds to be able to play. The basic rules of the game are simple. Kick the ball into the other team’s goal. The rules allow for games of all types to be played. Such as pick up games where rules are barely used. To recreational games where most if not all rules are used. To club games where all rules are applied, and the capability of players increases immensely. To professional where it is the best of the best players with the best referees and a vast fan section cheering them on. Soccer can be played from young ages to old and can be played at all skill levels which makes it the most popular sport in the world

Countries from every continent unite over this one athletic competition. Soccer is more dominant in other countries in the world due to economic and historical reasons than in the United States. European, African, and South Americans focus on soccer as their primary sport in their country and to this cause are why many nations from these continents are much better than the United States. They play from a young age and never switch between sports which proves their dedication and obviously makes them better on the field than those who play multiple sports such as many United States citizens. Also, athletes that are serious about playing sports professionally in these other countries don’t go to college and instead just focus on getting better so they can succeed in sports as a profession.

There are many leagues across the world such as The English Premier League, La Liga in Spain, Bundesliga in Germany, Ligue 1 in France, and Major League Soccer in the United States. As many of these leagues are very competitive with the teams, Major League Soccer is not considered a top-level league as the others are. There are many clubs in these leagues that are considered premier clubs such as Real Madrid, Barcelona, Manchester United, Paris Saint-Germain, and Bayern Munich. These clubs are considered some of the best teams in the world and have the best players on their teams. These teams have financial backing from extremely wealthy people who can afford to spend the money to bring in the best players such as Cristiano Ronaldo. International club soccer is much different from other sports as they do not have a salary cap for each team for players. This allows the wealthiest clubs to become the powerhouses because they can afford the best players that other clubs cant afford. China has been growing in the soccer business field due to the wealth that they have in their clubs and players rather make more money then play for a good team.

Overall soccer has many different aspects to the sport from the business behind the sport to international tournaments like the World Cup. Soccer is a global sport due to its simplicity for anyone to play which allows third world countries to still be able to play the sport because all they need is goals and a ball. The popularity of soccer is much more clear in almost every other country in the United States but in the United States it is looked upon as a sport for the weak and Americans are more interested in Football or Baseball.

6 thoughts on “The Sport Itself

1. Wow! There is so much more to soccer than I thought, and it truly is widespread and globalized. It would be super interesting to learn more about the different aspects of soccer as a sport, business, exemplification of a country’s values, etc. And you seem really knowledgeable and excited about this subject, which is awesome.

2. I am by no means a sports fan, but it’s always interesting to see a comparison between cultures. The USA has tons of cultural differences from norms and interests which span most of the world. Not the least of which is soccer.

3. I like how you broke down the differences between the U.S. and the rest of the world in terms of soccer’s appeal. While sports might not seem like a complicated issue, I appreciated your perspective on all the factors that influence which sports people play. I can see how the relative wealth of the U.S. gives people more sports options, which means less focus on a single sport.

4. I can’t tell you the first thing about sports, but I find it intriguing that soccer is more commonly embraced in other countries and football is dominant in American culture. This post was a perfect introduction to someone who is clueless in this subject, and it made me realize there is much more depth to this sport.

5. I appreciate your passion as I have played soccer ever since I was a tyke. It is amazing to see the difference between America and other nations and just imagine if we put more emphasis on soccer, the incredible athletes from basketball, football, among other sports that would add to the strength of our soccer program. You did a very nice job at describing this whole dynamic and I look forward to reading this further!