A glimpse of India

The Chicken Tikka Masala is easily one of my favorite Indian dishes.  It is a succulent red creamy chicken with the perfect blend of spices and flavors. It can be found in many Indian restaurants throughout the world and is a particularly popular dish at Indian weddings.

fc3e3dcbf7597ee2e64466658b84087c

The Chicken Tikka masala is a colorful dish made with chicken chunks marinated in spices and yogurt. The chicken is baked in a  tandoor oven and mixed with a spicy masala sauce.  There are over 50 versions of this dish and chicken is the only common ingredient. The sauce is typically made with tomato puree,  coriander, cream of coconut and various spices. The dish can be enjoyed with the Indian flatbread known as “naan” or served with rice.

Though the origin of the dish is unknown, explanations claim that it originated from an Indian restaurant in the United Kingdom.  Another claims that is may have come into existence by accidental improvisations in Punjab and Uttar Pradesh during the last 50 years. It has become particularly popular in the United Kingdom. In 2001, the British foreign secretary declared that, ” Chicken Tikka Masala is now a true national British dish, the masala sauce was added to satisfy the desires of British people.”

Regardless of its mysterious origins, the Chicken Tikka Masala is safe to try for anyone who has never tried Indian dishes before. It is a delicious and savory dish to enjoy.

5 thoughts on “A glimpse of India”

1. Indian cuisine is no stranger to my family. Also having many Indian friends it became quite common in my diet. This is not a bad thing whatsoever, considering I could live on chicken tikka masala and naan bread for the rest of my life.

2. This looks delicious!! The picture is so detailed with all the things you have mentioned with this dish. You do an amazing job discussing all the food that you post about, and you really know what you’re talking about all the food. This looks delicious and hope I can eventually try this someday.

3. This just killed me! I miss Indian food so much! I used to hate eating my mom’s food but after I came up here, I miss her food! I basically like any Indian chicken dish. Oh and the naan is the best part of it. Personally my favorite dish is Manchurian!!! I like Chicken Tikka because unlike other dishes, it actually has a spice to it. Other dishes sometimes mix like a sweet and spice, and I’m like make a preference! This just reminded me of home!

4. Tikka Masala is so good. I just wish the dining halls wouldn’t try to serve it. Indian and Thai food are all about spices that the dining hall can’t afford (and with good reason considering saffron runs for about $13 per gram.) Curry from Pollock Commons just doesn’t compare to the traditionally made stuff.

5. This looks so good! I like how you talked about our favorite food from India and brought your blog back to your hometown. This probably sounds weird, but my mouth was salivating reading this because I am so hungry right now and you do a great job of discussing the food and making it sounds super delicious. Plus the pictures are great. I did not get to comment on your Ukrainian post, but that one looked so good also! Thanks for doing one from Ukraine since I am part Ukrainian. Cuisine du Monde never fails to impress.