Flavors of Brazil

The  Empadão de Frango is a classic chicken pot pie dish that is  popular among many in Brazil and  Protugal.  There are countless versions  of the dish that exist today and the recipe can differ from family to family. When cooked properly, the pie will have a buttery taste and will melt in your mouth.

empadao-chicken-pot-pie-brazilian-foodgawker

There is a lot of work involved in cooking this pie and it is time consuming but it is worth the time and effort. First, chicken, onion, carrot, tomatoes, celery, garlic, bay leaves, and peppercorns are placed in a stockpot and covered with chicken or vegetable stock. This is then brought to a boil and simmered until the meat falls from the bone. A cup of the stock is reserved separately and the chicken pieces are finely shredded. On a frying pan, the shredded chicken is mixed with tomato paste, garlic, parsley, tomatoes, spring onions and seasoned with salt and pepper.   Next, the shortcrust pastry is prepared and the chicken mixture is placed into the baking pan. The pie is baked for 35 to 40 minutes until the color is golden brown. This dish is served hot and can be enjoyed with a side of salad.

3 thoughts on “Flavors of Brazil”

1. I can imagine making this dish is very time consuming. But nevertheless it sounds amazing. I would love to travel to Brazil and see this type of cuisine and their other delicious dishes.

2. This sounds amazing! I’ve always been a fan of chicken pot pie, but I have found it gets soggy really easily, which I’ve never been a fan of. This sounds, and looks, like it would be an interesting variation that wouldnt have a runny filling. I’ll definitely be suggesting this to my mom this weekend!

3. Yum, I love chicken pot pie, and this variation of it sounds really good! I would love to go to Brazil someday, they have such a rich culture and I would love to experience it.