Donald Trump

donald-trumps-hair_zpswqc4ev8gThe face we all love to see. NOT. Well, maybe when his hair looks like this.

June 16th, 2015 could be considered the beginning of the apocalypse. Just kidding, but it is the day that Donald Trump announced that he was going to run in the 2016 presidential election. He set off this journey with the slogan “Make America Great Again”.

Early on his run for presidency, Trump was one of the ten candidates at a debate held by Fox News on August 6th, 2015. He admitted to Megyn Kelly that he believed that the big problem America had as a country was being “politically correct.” Good thing a guy who is not a politician is running for presidency in order to make America “politically correct” again. Thanks Trump, so kind of you.

Later on an interview with CNN, Trump was asked about the Fox debate, and he said that Megyn Kelly was a “lightweight” and had “blood coming out of her eyes, blood coming out of her wherever.” He later told his Twitter followers that he meant her nose, but critics and practically everyone who watched the interview inferred that he was talking about menstruation. Trump went on to tweet about some of his critics were “total losers”. I am so glad to see a man so mature running for President. Leave the subtweeting in middle school, Trump.

When Trump first announced his running for presidency, he expressed his view on immigration.

“When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems…. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people”

Ok, so I am not Mexican, but I am Hispanic. I am orginially from Colombia so I really took this comment to heart, as I’m sure many minorities did. But even for the people that aren’t minorities, just regular people who AREN’T racist saw this comment as unnecessary. Trump later reached out and said that many of the crimes committed by Mexicans were done by those who had been kicked out of Mexico simply because the government didn’t want them there.

.trump-and-immigration-cartoon-darkowIn most recent news, Donald Trump announced that he would not be participating in the debate held by Fox News next week. He in protesting them and asks why he should “make them rich” if they humiliated him the way they did. He really has a lot to say about Megyn Kelly, but everyone else supports her. Usually his bold moves and comments have made him gain support from voters, but this move set him up for criticism. Instead, Trump announced, he will be holding an event in Iowa to raise money for veterans; after threatening to ruin Megyn Kellys career.

This year will be the first year that I am able to vote. You can probably tell that I will not be voting for this man, and I don’t care if you can tell. The truth of the matter is that I did not get my information from mostly left handed sources, I got it from unbiased, or even right handed sources. The fact that a non-politician who is racist, sexist, and just flat out mean is running for president scares me.

I will continue to track Donald Trumps progress or demise throughout this blog- hope it doesn’t piss you off too much.

2 Comments

1. ejs5652

I love the way you started with the issue of Trump running for president as a hook into the bigger picture because if there is one thing we have learned through this political campaign it is that everyone is strangely enamored with this man. Racism is a great topic to consider throughout our civic issues blog. I also decided to focus my Civic Issues blog on it as well. This blog was a great way to use your voice to stand up for what you believe in.

2. Kysesen Maravich

Trump certainly is a colorful character. I agree that his lack of political background could be harmful to his campaign if he would become the Republican representative. At least he has an extensive knowledge of macro and microeconomics. I remember a discussion in my high school economics class concerning the lack of degrees in economics held by members of the house of representatives. But what he gains in “books smarts” he seems to lack in “street smarts.” A good candidate needs balance.