The Big Apple

New York City

Growing up, I had the opportunity to visit New York City several times a year since I lived just a short train ride away. Throughout the year, I would make multiple trips to the city; with my most recent one being just last week. During these visits, I typically spent just a day in the city, allowing me to explore both familiar and new places. What makes NYC truly remarkable is its incredible diversity in terms of activities and cultures, ensuring that there’s something for everyone to enjoy. In this post, I want to focus on three key aspects to consider when planning a trip to NYC: food, activities, time of year, and duration.

NYC is a food lover’s paradise, offering a wide range of culinary experiences. From street vendors to world-class restaurants, the city has it all. NYC has a diversity of cuisines from Mexican to Italian and more. NYC is an extremely diverse city you can choose multiple types of cuisines that appeal to you; I’d like to give some specific recommendations for Mexican, Italian, and Thai food. If you are craving Mexican cuisine, I would recommend “Los tacos no 1.” They have multiple spots scattered around the city; making it convenient to find. It’s a casual dining experience for a reasonable price. As for Italian food, NYC is famous for its pizza style. You can explore numerous pizza shops scattered around the city for a classic New York slice. Two excellent options are “Lilia” in Brooklyn and “Torrisi” in Little Italy they offer a variety of options and are in convenient places. If Thai food is your preference, there is a charming spot near Central Park on 56th Street between 6th and 7th Ave that I recently discovered. The menu offers a wide variety of options; I enjoyed the pad thai and spring rolls. The spring rolls were delightfully crispy; and served with a flavorful sweet and sour sauce. The pad thai was packed with the rich taste of tamarind and peanuts.

The time of year you choose to visit NYC can greatly influence your experience; summers are filled with tourists, while winter offers a magical atmosphere with holiday decorations. The duration of your stay also matters; a short weekend trip will be different from a longer vacation. Consider your preferences and schedule when planning your visit; as it’s a key factor to you. You might want to prioritize some activities over others, as they might be booked during the peak times such as the holiday season and early summer months. For example, if you’re going near the holiday season and want to visit the Famous Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center; I would book tickets to reserve your spot.

New York City offers an abundance of activities, catering to diverse interests. From visiting iconic landmarks like Times Square and Central Park to exploring lesser-known neighborhoods and museums, there’s something for everyone to enjoy. During my recent trip just last week, I had the opportunity to walk around Central Park and visit the Lego store on Fifth Ave, an experience I found particularly enjoyable. Whether you’re a shopping enthusiast looking for unique stores or high-end designer boutiques, or if you prefer immersive tours and experiences like the Color Factory, NYC has it all. Even if you’re on a budget, there are fantastic options such as strolling through Central Park or exploring museums to learn about the city’s rich history.

Remember that your travel style and budget should also be considered, as NYC has peak tourist seasons that can impact prices and availability. Whether you’re a foodie, a culture enthusiast, or simply looking for a memorable adventure, NYC has something to offer, and I hope this post helps you plan your visit accordingly.

3 thoughts on “The Big Apple

1. As someone who also lives only a train ride away from NYC, your post brought me tons of nostalgia. I also visit the city a couple of times a year to see my aunt, and now I just want to go visit again. I loved your reference to the diverse food culture seen throughout the city. Getting food is always one of my favorite parts! I also really liked you reference to the lego store, which is a place that I have definitely visited before and wouldn’t be opposed to visiting again.

2. I have only been to NYC twice, briefly, but I love how passionate you are about everything you were able to experience in New York! I grew up in a very rural area (Lancaster County, PA) so city life is a whole different world to me! I think the way you broke it down from a foodie point of view and then highlighted the experiences you had was a great way to allow the reader to digest your writing. This makes me want to go back and see the city again!

3. I have been to NYC, and I LOVED it. I like to shop so much, and it is a perfect place to do it. All of the food suggestions seem so good. I want to go back for Christmas, so I will for sure take your advice. NYC is really such a cool city, and your experience definitely depends on when you go, and where you go. Thank you for the insight!