Mental Health

Growing up with immigrant parents has been a unique and enriching experience, shaping my worldview and perspective in ways that differ significantly from those of my peers. The cultural background and values instilled by my parents have undeniably played a crucial role in shaping my identity. However, one aspect that sets my upbringing apart is the approach to mental health, a topic often overlooked and even stigmatized within immigrant communities. Unlike many of my peers, my parents, like most immigrant parents, did not place a strong emphasis on mental health.

I did dance and track most of my life which of course led me to some physical injuries. I have had a fractured ankle and most recently a radial head fracture. My parents would often make sure that I was doing well physically, I was put in physical therapy after my injuries. It wasn’t until quarantine hit and I was stuck with my family 24/7 that I felt that my anxiety was at its peak. Not only did I worry about getting COVID but I was also worried about going back to school. I felt like it was normal to feel this, we were in a global pandemic of course. Once things went back to “normal” I still felt this way but I didn’t know why. I was tired most of the time, I was nervous all the time. My initial reaction was that I was stressed over school. As time went on I still felt this way.  I talked to my friends about it and they suggested seeing Tim. Tim was one of the school psychiatrists. Everyone loved Tim and went to him for everything. So the next day I went and saw him. He looked at me after talking for a bit and told me what I was feeling was anxiety. My direct response was no I think I’m stressed. He started to explain what anxiety was and how there were different ways to cope with it. That same year I learned different ways to cope with anxiety it was also the spring of my senior year. Knowing that I was about to go to college led to my anxiety increasing but knowing that there were people who were willing to help me learn how to manage my anxiety was a relief.

The reluctance to acknowledge mental health issues within immigrant families can be attributed to various factors, including cultural norms, lack of awareness, and the stigma associated with seeking help for psychological concerns. In my household, conversations about emotions, stress, or anxiety were scarce. The prevailing belief was that one should persevere through difficulties without openly expressing vulnerability. Growing up with this mindset presented challenges as I tried to navigate the complexities of adolescence and young adulthood. Peer conversations often revolved around mental health, therapy, and self-care, topics that felt foreign in my home. I knew what most of these topics were but I never really took part in them. It created a sense of isolation, as I grappled with internal struggles without the familial support that some of my peers enjoyed. Initiating conversations about mental health within an immigrant family presented its own set of challenges. Breaking through cultural barriers and dispelling misconceptions required patience and empathy. My attempts to educate my parents about the legitimacy of mental health struggles, the benefits of seeking professional help, and the destigmatization of therapy were met with a mixture of curiosity and resistance. With time their perspective shifted and had came to terms with the fact that not everyone is perfect. We all have internal struggles and it’s okay to seek help especially when you need it.

3 thoughts on “Mental Health

1. The stigmas that you discussed about mental health support really are a large barrier to the overall improvement of mental health across all cultural groups, especially in immigrant communities. It’s great that you had the opportunity and the courage to reach out and get help- we should always work with those around us to be the best, least anxious versions of ourselves!

2. This blog post approached such a big topic from a really interesting angle. Your ability to acknowledge the way your family’s cultural has shaped your perspective is so mature and intelligent. Moreover, taking the time to try to educate your parents is such a big step. Some of the factors you mentioned were interesting referencing cultural norms, etc. It made me think about how my parents, though they did not initially intend to, sort of also had the same thoughts despite a different culture. For them I think it stemmed from their generation and just the sentiment around mental health while they were growing up. I am also glad that you were able to find ways to manage the reliefs as anxiety.

3. It’s good to hear that you have had some success teaching your parents about mental health and the importance of taking care of yourself. It is a topic that way too many people ignore and shut out of their lives. Cultural norms play a huge role in how people view mental health situations in their lives. It takes a lot to change beliefs from there. I hope you continue to find ways to keep your anxiety under control.