“The American Dream”

The American Dream is a concept that has been around for years. Many people believe in it and few can truly achieve it. My parents exemplify this narrative,  at a young age decided to leave everything known to them and move to the US. My dad came to the US when he was in his 20s leaving his family. Later on, my mom then came to the US with my siblings. They moved to Connecticut knowing few people and had help from my dad’s friend. For the first few years, they lived with the bare necessities and knew little to no English. They relied on the help of others but soon after they had me, changing their plans. From what I remember I had a great childhood and I have always been grateful for my parents and my family for what they provided me with. I grew up having music, gymnastics, swim, and dance lessons something that most immigrant family kids don’t have the opportunity to do.

At school, especially during 8th grade, we had lessons on the American dream, what it meant to us, how many achieved it, and how it continues to change with time. I recognized its diverse interpretations. For my parents, it meant securing a better future and standard of living for my siblings and supporting their family back home.

I do think that the dream is very centered on wealth and how the more you have the happier you are. This is simply not the truth money can bring you temporary happiness but it’s not a permanent source of fulfillment. Many are currently striving for a more basic existence, finding comfort in survival and the pursuit of simple freedoms. Especially in this economy where inflation has driven up the price of many goods and services, some are living paycheck to paycheck.

In some ways, the dream is unattainable to many and some may say it’s dead. There are so many barriers that make it impossible for someone to achieve it. Many are discriminated against and robbed of opportunities that may have otherwise led them to their success. Despite this, my parents have been able to surpass the challenges that may have stopped them and were able to have a decent life for themselves. They have been able to provide for the families back in Mexico while also supporting a family and raising them with important values and morals.

Writing this in a building with floor-to-ceiling windows and great amenities, I’m extremely grateful for the privilege I have. Being able to have an education at a great school with endless opportunities at my fingertips.  Every day I’m reminded that I have to work hard for my dreams and to be successful. Even though my parent’s dream to come to the US may not have been for me it has encouraged me to aspire to greatness and be determined to be successful in life. To follow my dreams no matter how impossible or hard to obtain they may seem.

3 thoughts on ““The American Dream”

1. This was such an awesome post! As someone whose parents were here for generations the American Dream was simply something I learned about in highschool that seemed like a faraway topic. It was so fascinating to hear you discuss your own parents experience, and ultimate success. I found it important that you emphasized that some people believe the dream is dead because I agree that is a narrative we hear frequently. However, hearing your parents story of being able to provide for their family back in Mexico truly debunks that tale.

2. This is a really inspiring story, and shows how the economic barriers built by our society should absolutely be removed, to allow everyone to learn, to grow, and ultimately succeed in their own dream. I think that the first step towards this is increasing the availability of education, which can launch communities into growth, and support families like yours and all of ours in meeting our dreams. Great writing!

3. My dad just sent me a post he saw online today about how the American Dream now costs multimillion dollars on average. It’s crazy how expensive life can be. I think some of your messages were really important. Money is not everything. Money cannot straight up by happiness, and we can live fulfilling and happy lives without “completing the American Dream.” As far as money goes, some financial freedom is important to most people. Being rich does not solve all of our problems.