Archive | April 2024

Extra Credit- “Postracial Fantasies and Zombies: On the Racist Apocalyptic Politics Devouring the World”

In “Postracial Fantasies and Zombies,” the speaker, Eric Watts,  goes on an interesting journey through the dark depths of cultural representations, exploring the intricate connections between the rhetoric of zombies and the historical experiences of black people. As he meticulously unravels the layers of meaning embedded within the concept of the zombie, Watts invites us to confront the unsettling truths that lurk beneath the surface of popular culture, beckoning us to navigate the complex interplay of race, power, and identity.

The speech commences with a seemingly innocent clip from the game show “Family Feud,” urging contestants to name something they know about zombies. Yet, from this seemingly trivial question, the speaker unveils a portal to a much broader exploration of how the figure of the zombie is intricately interwoven into the fabric of our collective consciousness. It becomes a lens through which we can dissect deeper societal issues, shining a light on the nuances of race relations, power dynamics, and the enduring search for identity.

A central theme that emerges from the reflection is the concept of zombies as a reflection of societal anxieties, particularly within the context of the so-called “post-racial” era. Watts carefully dissects the cultural atmosphere of 2013, a year marked by a proliferation of zombie-themed media, including the popular television series “The Walking Dead.” He suggests that this surge in fascination with the undead may be symptomatic of a deeper societal unease regarding race relations, especially in the aftermath of Barack Obama’s historic election, which, rather than assisting in a postracial world, unearthed and exacerbated existing racial tensions.

Drawing from a rich tapestry of historical narratives, Watts meticulously traces the evolution of the zombie from its nascent origins in the aftermath of the Haitian Revolution to its contemporary manifestations. Watts explore how the figure of the zombie has been co-opted to reinforce racial hierarchies and perpetuate harmful stereotypes about blackness, illustrating how the zombie serves as a reactive manifestation of society’s deepest fears and anxieties surrounding race, otherness, and the looming presence of a possible apocalypse.

Moreover, the speech delves into the intricate mechanics of representation, scrutinizing how the language and imagery surrounding zombies maintain notions of domination, control, and visceral enjoyment. The speaker introduces the concept of “biotropes,” arguing that the portrayal of zombies serves as a potent tool for reinforcing existing power structures and upholding the status quo. He meticulously critique the ways in which the zombie genre often glorifies violence and perpetuates harmful stereotypes, particularly in its depiction of black characters, who are frequently relegated to the role of expendable victims or mindless aggressors.

Throughout the discussion, Watts emphasizes the critical importance of contextualizing the portrayal of zombies within a broader historical and cultural framework. Calling attention to the enduring legacy of slavery, colonialism, and systemic oppression in shaping contemporary representations of blackness, urging us to confront the uncomfortable truths that lie at the heart of the zombie narrative and the wider cultural landscape. By meticulously dissecting the rhetoric surrounding zombies and its deep-rooted historical underpinnings, Watts extends a moving invitation to reassess our assumptions about popular culture and confront the deeper societal issues of race and identity that resonate throughout our collective consciousness.

Extra Credit- A Different Take On Social Media And Democracy

Listening to the “A Different Take On Social Media And Democracy” podcast provided a thought-provoking exploration of the intersection between social media, journalism, and democracy. Through the lens of V’s experiences and insights, several key themes emerged, prompting reflection on the role of social media in shaping contemporary discourse and civic engagement. One of the central themes discussed was the evolving landscape of journalism and the trust we place in traditional news outlets. V’s reflections on questioning this trust resonated deeply, especially in an era marked by widespread misinformation and the erosion of trust in traditional news outlets like the New York Times, LA Times, CNN, CNBC, BBC new etc. Her emphasis on the need for transparency and accountability within journalism highlights the importance of critical engagement with media narratives.

V’s journey from TikTok creator to community builder highlighted the unique potential of social media platforms to foster meaningful connections and dialogue across generations. Her commitment to creating a safe yet dynamic space for discourse speaks to the responsibilities of content creators in balancing openness with moderation. By blocking certain words and actively engaging with her community, V exemplifies a proactive approach to cultivating an online environment conducive to constructive engagement. Moreover, V’s discussion on the role of social media in addressing feelings of loneliness struck a chord. In an increasingly fragmented society, social media has emerged as both a source of connection and a remedy for social isolation. The ability of platforms like TikTok to facilitate real-world gatherings and community events highlights the potential to alleviate loneliness and foster a sense of belonging.

The podcast also delved into the shifting dynamics of news consumption among younger generations, particularly Gen Z. Contrary to stereotypes of disengagement, V highlighted the remarkable civic engagement exhibited by Gen Z, driven by a combination of necessity and innovation. Her observations challenge misconceptions about younger generations’ apathy towards current affairs, emphasizing their active involvement in issues that impact them in the past, or how she puts it in areas that society has failed them like gun control. Furthermore, V’s insights into the changing landscape of news circulation focuses on the transformative impact of social media on traditional media outlets. The adaptation of news content to suit the preferences of online audiences, characterized by fast-paced videos and engaging formats, reflects a broader shift towards digital-first journalism. However, this evolution also raises concerns about the potential for sensationalism and the dilution of journalistic integrity in pursuit of likes and views.

One particularly important topic discussed was the importance of voter engagement and the efforts to mobilize younger demographics. V emphasized the need to earn rather than threaten young people’s participation in the democratic process, highlighting the role of influencers as gateways to civic engagement. By leveraging their platforms to educate and empower their audience, influencers like V play a crucial role in amplifying voter turnout and political awareness among younger demographics. In short, the “A Different Take On Social Media And Democracy” podcast offered a nuanced exploration of the complex interplay between social media, journalism, and democracy. Through V’s personal experiences and insights, listeners were invited to reconsider preconceived notions about social media’s impact on civic engagement and news consumption. Ultimately, the podcast highlighted the potential of social media as a catalyst for positive social change while also highlighting the challenges and responsibilities inherent in navigating the digital landscape.

Music and Sustainability

Music has always been an important part of my identity, serving as an outlet for expression. Recently, I started on a journey to diversify my music taste and explore alternative ways to listen. In the last couple of years, I have started to explore other ways of listening to music. This led me to buy a vinyl player and increase my vinyl collection, buying used vinyl. My mom also showed me some of her old CDs and cassettes from my sibling’s childhood. As much as I like vinyl, it’s not practical. Like most, I use Spotify and have created over 20 playlists from music I have found online, or through recommendations. One day, while scrolling on TikTok, I stumbled upon a thought-provoking video. The creator, addressing Billie Eilish’s critique of vinyl production, highlighted the industry’s wasteful practices and then gave a haul of the vinyl she bought. Billie’s candid revelation regarding the excessive production of multiple versions of the same vinyl to increase profits struck a chord with me. Growing up, sustainability has been a core value instilled in me, and it continues to shape my perspectives.

As I read her interview there was a quote that stood out when she was asked about her career and sustainability. ” It’s a never-ending f–king fight. As we all know, it’s pretty impossible to force someone to care… but a lot of people don’t understand the severity of the climate [crisis]. And if they do, they’re like, “Well, what’s the point? We’re all going to die anyway.” … But “what’s the point” goes both ways: “What’s the point? I can do whatever I want. We’re all going to die anyway.” Or, “What’s the point? I might as well do the right thing while I’m here.” That’s my view.” 

There are so many ways that we can help the environment and make the music industry more sustainable. Especially with the number of music festivals and tours coming up. It’s responsible for a significant amount of the music industry’s carbon footprint. Billie isn’t the only one, Coldplay is also starting to set new standards for the industry. In their most recent tour, they installed kinetic dance floors and power bikes to generate power for the stage and planted about 5 million trees for each concertgoer.

If every artist were to adopt this perspective and prioritize sustainability over profits, the collective impact could be massive. By reducing the production of excessive vinyl variants and embracing eco-friendly practices throughout the music creation and distribution process, we could significantly decrease the carbon footprint of the industry. As well as promoting sustainable initiatives within the music community could inspire fans and fellow artists alike to engage in environmentally responsible behaviors. From reducing plastic packaging to utilizing renewable energy sources for production, there are numerous avenues through which the music industry can contribute to global sustainability efforts

At the end of the day, it’s not just on the artist to improve their carbon footprint but also up to us. It’s not about what we can do to save the earth because, to be honest earth doesn’t need us it can survive on its own, we are saving ourselves and the future generations to come.

Interview:

https://www.billboard.com/music/pop/billie-eilish-sustainability-eco-friendly-initiatives-mom-1235642455/

Mental Health Awareness on College Campuses

In recent years, the mental health landscape on college campuses has become increasingly concerning. Studies show that a staggering number of students are grappling with mental health challenges, with nearly every student meeting the criteria for at least one mental health problem. Despite the prevalence of these issues, many students are unaware of the resources and programs available to support them. The statistics paint a realistic picture: 73% of college students experience symptoms of mental health conditions and almost one-third report that they have trouble functioning due to mental illness. This alarming trend underscores the urgent need for proactive measures to address mental health concerns within university communities. While most colleges and universities offer resources and programs aimed at supporting student mental health, the challenge lies in ensuring that students are aware of and know how to access these services. Too often, students suffer in silence, unaware of the support networks available to them.

At Penn State University, we have Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS), a valuable resource dedicated to providing mental health support to students. However, despite the presence of such services, there have been complaints regarding accessibility and effectiveness. Some professors give mental health days without any repercussions, others don’t. Students have to decide between their education and their mental health.  Although there has been some controversy about mental health days. Some say that it’s not a permanent solution, it only serves as a band-aid to the solution. Students continue to be burned out and over time it could affect their work and grades. It’s clear that more needs to be done to bridge the gap between students in need and the resources available to them, ensuring equitable access to support services for all students.

One crucial step in addressing the mental health crisis on college campuses is to normalize conversations about mental health. By reducing the stigma surrounding mental illness, we can create a culture where students feel comfortable seeking help when they need it. This can be achieved through education and awareness campaigns that promote understanding and empathy. Additionally, universities must prioritize the development and implementation of comprehensive mental health support systems. This includes investing in counseling services, hiring qualified mental health professionals, and providing training for faculty and staff to recognize and respond to signs of distress in students. Technology can also play a vital role in expanding access to mental health resources for college students. Online platforms and mobile apps can provide students with convenient and confidential avenues for seeking support, counseling, and self-care resources. Ultimately, addressing the mental health crisis on college campuses requires a multi-faceted approach that involves collaboration between students, faculty, administration, and mental health professionals. By working together to promote awareness, reduce stigma, and expand access to resources, we can create a supportive environment where every student feels valued, heard, and empowered to prioritize their mental health. This isn’t an isolated issue it’s a national emergency that must be taken care of. What are your thoughts on bringing more awareness to college campuses?

https://www.nea.org/nea-today/all-news-articles/mental-health-crisis-college-campuses

College Mental Health Toolkit

Fashion and Sustiability

Growing up my mom would come home with bags full of clothing given to her by her employer. The majority of my clothing was sourced from second-hand sources, with only a small fraction being brand new. I was so excited anytime I would see her bring the bags because to me the clothing was new and most of the time it had tags. I was 10 when I started to question why they were giving away these clothes if they were new. Wouldn’t they want to spend their hard-earned money on clothes they actually would wear? As time went by I started to care more about what I would wear, having five older sisters helped as I would steal their clothes. or ended up buying from H&M, Hollister, or some other store in the mall. By the time I was a freshman, right before the pandemic, my friend told me about Shien and other fast fashion online stores. I ended up not buying anything from their websites and I forgot about them.

Months later I started to see hauls of Shien on TikTok and the amount of clothing that these creators were getting for cheap. Hauls aren’t new they have been around when Youtubers were blowing up. Even more recently these fast fashion brands have been receiving backlash for their effects on the environment and the working conditions they provide their workers. They even brought influencers to their factories which I found very surprising. Using influencers to promote your brand is a smart marketing strategy but unfortunately, that wasn’t the case for Shien. They received tons of backlash from this trip. Fast Fashion brands give life to the micro trends we see. In 2020 I remember seeing the VSCO girl, Y2k, and different aesthetics that people switch from in a matter of months. The fashion life cycle is meant to last years but now it’s months, instead of having two seasons we have collections coming out left and right. The materials of our clothes also matter as they impact the environment. More than 60% of our clothes are made from polyester, a synthetic material. Polyester contains plastics that enter the water system when we wash our clothes and even worse it takes twenty to 200 years to decompose.

While individuals are increasingly embracing sustainable shopping practices through platforms like Depop, thrift stores, and various other outlets, a recent trend has emerged where individuals are frequenting thrift stores to purchase clothing. This trend raises additional concerns, particularly regarding the pricing of clothing in thrift stores, which serve as a primary source of affordable attire for many low-income families. There are many problems in the fashion industry, and making sure that we become sustainable in our choices is important. Instead of buying clothing every month, we should focus on buying pieces of clothing that will last us years. We need to become more aware of the clothes we buy and where we buy from. Making sure that we don’t give in to the trends but instead focus on building our style.

7 Reasons Why Fashion Is Important: Unraveling Its Impact on Society