TED Talks

The first TED talk I am choosing to discuss is “Don’t like clickbait? Don’t click” by Sally Kohn.  Her talk was about how everything we click online is a public act of making media.  Although we may think that we are only publicly acting when we post or another action of that nature, that is not the only act that counts.  Kohn uses examples such as when you click on the stories about politicians calling each other names, it is showing your support for those kinds of stories.  As a result, more stories like those will be posted.  Kohn calls everyone to only click on the stories of which they would like to hear more.  In order to keep her audience’s attention, Kohn uses humor to keep them invested.  She makes multiple jokes that keeps her audience invested.  In addition, she speaks naturally, as if she was having a conversation, instead of formally as if in an essay.  Her casual manner of speaking and well-timed jokes keep her audience invested in her message.

The second TED talk I chose to write about is called “The Dog Song” by Nellie McKay.  Her TED talk was not a talk.  Instead it was a song dedicated to her dog who had to be put to sleep a few days before her talk.  Her song was funny and kept the audience entertained through it’s originality.  The song humorously discusses the owner’s (McKay) relationship with her dog.  She sings about how she used to feel upset often, but with her dog, she was able to relive the joys of life.  This song reminds those people in the audience with pets, specifically dogs, about the joys of having a companion.  Although her song does not call the audience to action, it provokes them to reminisce about the times they have had with their pets.

2 thoughts on “TED Talks

1. I agree with the first Ted talk ! I think a lot of teachers, like our business teacher, are trying to implement that mentality upon us. Because now, social media can stop us from getting jobs

2. I love the first Ted Talk’s message. So much of what we do is a puiblic act that exerts influence. I am really glad you analyzed the speech, it was one of the Ted Talks I have really enjoyed in the past.