Stasis Theory and Affirmative Action

So, according to our Rhetoric & Civic Life class textbook, stases help rhetors determine exactly what any argument is about and that the use of the stases also ensure that rhetors investigate an issue fully.  It can also refer to where a rhetor takes a stand.  So by definition, stasis will help us determine what our argument is and that we fully investigate our controversy.  By implementing stasis, we will clarify our thinking about the point in dispute and force us to think about the assumptions and values shared by members of their targeted audience.  Using stasis will also establish areas in which more research needs to be done, suggest which proofs are crucial to the case, and point the way toward the most effective arrangement of the proofs.  To achieve stasis, it is important that we ensure we argue both sides and respond to each side’s arguments.

Using my group’s controversy as an example, people argue for affirmative action because many minorities do not have the same resources as the white population so they need assistance in evening out the unfair disadvantage they have with respect to the white male population.  To achieve stasis, a proper response to demonstrate stasis would not state that it is not fair to discriminate against another group as a result because that does not explain why minorities do not need to even out the playing field.  Instead, the opposing side should respond by explaining how you cannot generalize for an entire race because there are exceptions.  Then they could possibly find another alternative which would solve the problem.

Now moving to the opposite side, people argue against affirmative action because it is not fair to discriminate against the white population and deny them admission, scholarships, or job offers that would otherwise go to them.  A proper response for the other side that would demonstrate stasis, similar to the first instance, is not their argument.  Instead it is that although it is not fair to discriminate against the white population, they have an unfair advantage so affirmative action is simply levying the playing field for minorities.

Using these tactics, we will be able to achieve stasis in our presentation on affirmative action.

One thought on “Stasis Theory and Affirmative Action

1. I liked how you gave examples of both sides. This helped me with how I looked at stasis because your in my group and I can see how you used stasis as it pertains to our argument .