“Stealers, Keepers”

In India, a car is stolen every 6 seconds, but in the state of Texas, a car is stolen every 5.5 seconds according to thefuturist.com

If you don’t get caught, you deserve everything you steal.

Getting caught isn’t what makes something wrong.

What does it mean to “own” something? For most of us, owning something means that you bought it or you gave up something in order to get the object.

But what about stealing? You didn’t buy the item, but now you own it. The idea of theft and false ownership in America makes me very angry.

Before I came to college, I did not know how often people did it, as my friends in high school never even thought of stealing. If we couldn’t afford it, then tough luck, you couldn’t get it. If you get caught stealing just once major consequences will take place, so for me, it is not worth it at all. The costs outweigh the benefits. Stealing seems to be a trend in our culture today, and within society, it has increased greatly over the years especially in America.

I thought it was just a phase kids went through, but I continue to see it all the time and it continues to anger me. Yes its easy, you can nonchalantly put something in your bag in a store without anyone seeing, its not like people actually sit in a chair and stare at the security camera all day. I don’t know, I would just feel really guilty. Why aren’t people more honest?

You have a meal point plan! Why is it necessary to steal from the convenient stores around campus? Why do you go to Urban Outfitters and put clothes without a security tag in your purse?

It is something very foreign to me. It is not fair that you are in a higher social class than me, and you stole your outfit, while I spent all the money I made over summer on mine.

Maybe its not the act of actually doing it, but the way society deals with it. AKA they don’t really do anything at all. Society has a way of looking past things, and only focusing on the “important” things. But to change the way people act, you have to start somewhere small.

For example, while working in a clothing store, the manager on the first day told me to not worry if people steal any items, because it really does not account for a lot in the financial side of things. I was appalled that he would say this. How could I just ignore someone with a shirt shoved into their purse? After watching a 15-year-old girl take a hairband off the display, shove it in her pocket, and continue on her merry way, I realized this job was not for me. I quit the next day.

Stealing has become a larger problem recently, and you can clearly see the progression of it in regards to novels I have read over the years. For example, in Longbourn, the wealthy townsfolk “own” their servants, and have total control over them. Sarah reflects on the idea of actually owning a human, many times in the novel. She wonders what it would be like to be free – just like Elizabeth and Jane. Similarly, Sarah reflects on ownership, the ability to purchase grand items, and whether it is all worth it? The servants have nothing, but they still do not steal from the Bennet family or areas around town. If they can do it, so can America today.